Run Service before user login

mitsos1os

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Hi guys, I am using Windows 7 and this is my situation. I have a desktop connected to an interactive whiteboard used for teaching. My problem is that the board doesn't work until a user logs into the system. The board's operation is controlled by a system service which starts on user login. What I want to do is to start the service at Windows startup BEFORE login so that the board is activated and I won't have to use a mouse just to click on a users account. I tried, opening services.msc but it startup was already set as AUTO. I also tried creating a batch file with the command SC start <serviceName> and add it in the registry, in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/WIndows/CurrentVersion/Run but all these only executed after user login. After many hours of searching in the net, I fould 2 more ways, through task scheduler and local group policy editor as a startup script (Haven't tried them yet)....However I am almost sure that a service can run before windows login, because other Software, for example Teamviewer, when you enable start with Windows, it is activated before login. The teamviewer service has the same settings with my classboard service. I even used a registry monitoring software to find out what teamviewer changes when starting with windows is enabled, and the only thing that changes is a registry key in Teamviewer settings about autostart and always on, which are irrelevant to the system sevices as far as I can tell.....

Any thoughts welcome. Thank you.

All services start before login. That is the whole purpose of a service. Some services just idle in the background waiting for some signal from a user (software) and then act on that signal. You stated the service is set to auto, therefore it's running before you login. It sounds like your service is waiting on a control panel app or some other program to send it a signal - in this case, the white board program.

mitsos1os

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
I don't think it has anything to do with software, since while the whiteboard operates, there isn't any other software or service running. I check the running software from task manager. It is as simple as I start the service it starts, if I stop the service it stops working. It even stops again if I log out of the user account.

Windows has over 30 services running at all times, so your statement that "I don't think it has anything to do with software, since while the whiteboard operates, there isn't any other software or service running." is incorrect.

Have you read the manual for your whiteboard software? Does it state it can run as a service? Does it state it can run with no user login? You can't force a program to run as a service. It has to be created as a service.

Why don't you just have your account auto login. Be aware that this can be a security risk though.

mitsos1os

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Yes, I described the problem that I face. Autologin is from control userpasswords2... Anyway... It is the ClassBoard from CPI.gr but I doubt you will find anything there. I received a mail from them now, stating that it cannot be done. I do not know why. Thank you for your time.