Smps for 9800gt (with pata (ID) hard drive)

I HAVE 9800GT CARD MODEL NO:PV-T98G-YMF3.I WANT A SMPS FOR .SUGGEST ANY IN MID &HIGH BUDGETS.
NOTE:
I HAVE 80GB PATA HARD DISC .SO THE SMPS SHOULD HAVE PATA CONNECTER.my card does not have 6-pin connecter.WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO THE POWER FLOWING THROUGH THE 6 PIN CONNECTER IN A SMPS
6 answers Last reply
More about smps 9800gt with pata hard drive
  1. nagaprasanna said:
    .my card does not have 6-pin connecter.WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO THE POWER FLOWING THROUGH THE 6 PIN CONNECTER IN A SMPS

Assuming I understand your question:
    Nothing. If the cable is not connected, no power would flow.

What's the rest of the system? We need to know what the PSU will be powering before we can make recommendations.
  2. For your requirements,
    Ante EA 380W/ Corsair 400CX would be enough...
    But it is better you give rest of the specs like jsc suggested...
  3. intel dual core processor
    2 gb ram
    1 80 gb pata hard disc
    xfx 9800 gt 512 mb card
  4. intel dual core processor
    2 gb ram
    1 80 gb pata hard disc
    xfx 9800 gt 512 mb card
    WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO 12V RAIL CT.WILL THE SUPPLY TO 6 PIN CONNECTER BE USED FOR OTHER DEVICES.
    ACTUALLY IN MY GRAPHICS CARD BOX THEY HAVE QUOTED 550W WITH MIN 40A IN 12V RAIL
  5. ^ Oh boy...that is insane power requirements for a 9800GT...
    Actually you can run 9800GT SLI with a 550W PSU...Maybe that is what they are saying ?

For a single 9800GT, select either the Antec EA 380W or Corsair 400CX...It would be enough for your PC...
    And I have not seen other components using that PCIe 6 pin power...
  6. If I have identified your card properly, the XFX 9800GT-512 requires a 400w psu with 26a on the 12v rails and a single 6 pin pci-e connector:
    http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/9series/9800GT.aspx#4

If your card does not have a auxiliary 6-pin power connector, then the card will get the power from the pci-e slot only.

The simple answer is if a quality PSU has a 6 pin pci-e connector, it will deliver sufficient power to run the connector, along with a normal complement of other components. Such a PSU can be expected to be able to deliver the standard 75w to the pci-e slot also. Almost every psu has only one source of 12v power which it distributes among all the 12v leads.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Hard Drives Power Components