Sign in with
Your question

Intake OR Exhaust

Last response: in Overclocking
May 30, 2011 12:56:01 PM

I am currently puzzled whether to change my intake fan to exhaust fan as many people asked me to change it to an exhaust fan.
I Have A Power Supply Exhaust Fan That blows hot air out of the case.
Below it i have a Cooler master intake fan.
Should i change it to a exhaust fan?
**I cant add fans as this is a hp case and it only supports 2 fans.Both at the back of the case.
Specs
MSI CYCLONE POWER 6850
@900.1100
i5 750
510w acbel powersupply
OEM motherboard.
Stock HS.

Top fan==>PSU

More about : intake exhaust

a c 190 K Overclocking
May 30, 2011 12:58:59 PM

general guidelines are front and side intake, rear and top exhaust,
Swap the fan round :p 
Moto
m
l
May 30, 2011 1:41:44 PM

well one intake and one exhaust balances the equation. so its fine. anyways you wouldn't see a world of a difference.
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 30, 2011 1:56:02 PM

Quote:I cant add fans as this is a hp case and it only supports 2 fans.Both at the back of the case,

^Send me the case, I'll add some fans for you :p 
Moto
m
l
May 30, 2011 11:05:43 PM

I can only see one fan at the back of the case.
And as I see that fan holes are at the bottom of the case. If so, you should leave it as an intake fan. If it would be just under the psu fan, then you should put it as an exhaust.

Check front panel, there should be some holes to put fans.

But if you want to have any airflow you must buy a case with bottom mounted psu.
m
l
May 31, 2011 2:00:50 AM

Its a hp case,the biggest square filter is the heatsink sucking/blow air out (idk),my hp case cant be modded as theres a push up/push down technology which hides the front usb.My PSU fan is the one of the top while at the bottom is a Cooler master fan.Will the intake fan at the bottom suck in hot air that is blown out by the psu fan?
So you guys mean i should just change it to a exhaust?
m
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
May 31, 2011 3:08:12 AM

You'd be better off using the fan as an exhaust imo.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 31, 2011 6:27:46 AM

Was at work last night so missed the post **my hp case cant be modded as theres a push up/push down technology which hides the front usb**
Everything can be modded man, Everything........... :p 
Glad you decided on an option fanwise though :) 
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 31, 2011 7:23:16 AM

a rear fan like that should never be intake, always exhaust. you will notice temps drop instantly when you do that.
m
l
May 31, 2011 7:38:05 AM

But it's bottom fan, there is no hot air at the bottom :) 

remove side panel and check is there any holes in front of hdd to put a fan. It should be there.
m
l
May 31, 2011 12:20:07 PM

I Do have a HDD Protector Fan or something.I will upload the picture of the inside of the case tmr.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 31, 2011 5:23:56 PM

The hdd cooler wont be doing much to cool the overall temps, but lets see those pics tomorrow and I'll tell you where to drill :p 
Moto
m
l
June 1, 2011 1:50:49 AM

So i would be better with the bottom fan as exhaust or?
Currents Fans
2 Intakes(Bottom Fan and HS)
1Exhaust PSU.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2011 2:40:47 AM

^ exhaust. Seriously just try it and monitor the temps, it only takes 30 secs to face it the other way.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 1, 2011 6:34:10 AM

Tidy those cables up as well young man! that will help :) 
Ok, if you do add a fan, its going to be on the sidepanel, at the front and low, intake, and turn that rear fan to exhaust,
if you dont add a fan, still make the rear fan exhaust
Moto
m
l
June 1, 2011 6:34:14 AM

just remember your basic physics that heat rises and adjust accordingly. plus your mobo is near the rear of the case, so as everyone has mentioned, top and rear for exhaust.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2011 10:52:14 AM

in my experience, every time i have tried just intake fans, it has made the temp go up compared to a single exhaust fan regardless of where its positioned. Since yours is positioned right near the CPU fan it should draw some of the hot air away from that and the direction of air flow will allow cooler air from outside the case to go through the side panel vents and into the cpu fan. like i said, just try it and see for yourself.
m
l
June 1, 2011 12:38:35 PM

Oh i understand now ^^ will tell you the results sooner
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2011 10:57:50 PM

your temps on your cpu might be better if you have more fans intaking but your temps inside the case will be alot hotter and your overall system will be hotter...
m
l
!