CPU/Mobo/match with XFX nVidia 8800GT card

mnman

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
What motherboard would you recommend for using with an AMD Phenom 955, 8Gb DDR2 800(4 set of Patriot 2Gb) , and 2 XFX NVIDIA 8800GT SLi cards?

Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, you will be stuck with an nVidia based motherboard :(
It looks like your best option would be the ASUS M4N82 Deluxe.
If you do not already have the pair of 8800GT's, I would recommend getting a pair of 4850s or 4870s and an AMD based motherboard.

More than 4GB of RAM is a waste. it's been extensively tested and only certain individuals with specific application needs (massive Photoshop files) will see any difference.

It will make absolutely no difference for video gaming. The extra $100 or so would be better spent somewhere else.

I agree, if you don't have the video cards yet your system is not balanced at all for gaming. In general, always get a single card where possible.

Look at the Tomshardware graphics reviews.

If you are buying a new motherboard and processors I'd seriously consider looking at the new i5-750 and compatible motherboard.

mnman

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Thank you for the replies. I do want to stay with the AMD processor, keep the 8800GT cards, and use the memory I already have but would like to get a compatible mobo (one that could be upgradeds later). I believe that the ASUS M4N82 Deluxe (that outlw6669 mentioned) and ASUS M4N72-E would both do that. But my question to you all is - can I run my 8800GT cards on the ASUS M4N32 Deluxe or is that mobo for AMD Crossfire video cards only?? My understanding is that although a mobo is SLi capable doesn't mean that an NVIDIA 8800GT will run on that board. By the way, I'm not really into overclocking nor gaming. I do use my system primarily for photo work, internet browsing and do some FlightSim X (which is why I use the two 8800 and the AMD 955 cpu). Again, I appreciate your replies and help.

:lol:

that motherboard that outlw6669 showing you is very capable of sli. 3 way sli to be infact. (although those video cards you have will only handle 2 way)

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=acJsiQGEWJ7Fdp0m&templete=2