Solved

Best 60-64GB SSD RAID

I'm looking to buy two SSD's and put them in RAID 0. I was wondering what the fastest drives were in terms of overall performance.

Currently the two that seem to be the most impressive are:

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II

and

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III

I have also heard that the Intel SSD's are very good as well. I'm looking at SSD's in the 100-200 dollar range, and 50-100GB range.

Any suggestions and benchmarks would be greatly appreciated.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about best 64gb raid
  1. Best answer
    If your motherboard supports SATA III 6.0Gb/s, I would go with the C300. Otherwise, I would go with the Vertex 2.
  2. My motherboard has the Marvell 9128 SATA III controller. I've been doing research, and it seems to work fine with one drive, but is not capable of handling a RAID setup. Benchmarks show that a single C300 runs faster on the Marvell, while the C300 in raid will run faster on Intel's controller.

I don't know if anyone can answer this, but would it be worth waiting for the next round of SATA III drives? I saw the benchmarks on the Vertex 3 and if my Marvell controller can handle one drive, then it might be worth waiting. I have no clue if the Marvell controller can handle those speeds though.

Edit: I've also just been reading about the 25nm vs 32nm Vertex 2 debacle. Makes me think twice about purchasing their drive...
  3. Have you considered an OCZ PCI-e based ssd? They come with multiple ssd's in RaidO array.
  4. I have not looked into them very much because their prices have always seemed very high. I will take a look.

Edit: 290 for 120 GB. A little pricey, but I suppose not much more than two 60 GB drives.
  5. Best answer selected by floks.
  6. Just as a final update, I've decided to go with the Vertex 2 in RAID. Now, currently the model being sold in stores is OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G.

Take notice of the E in the model number. That means it is the new 25nm drive. Luckily Newegg is still selling the older model, under the number OCZSSD2-2VTX60G.

I figure I should buy mine before they're all gone, we shall see if it was worth all the fuss.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD NAS / RAID Storage