Status
Not open for further replies.

toicy4ya

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Hello Everyone,

For the past month i was experiencing wireless connection problems on my laptop. Upon trying to diagnose and fix the issue i realized that there were several files missing on my laptop however the only one i can remember is the msiexec.exe. I tried restoring my laptop to a previous point several times but was unsuccessful. However, as a result for some reason now i can no longer log into the internet. My wireless connection icon on the tray has disapeared and when i double click on the Internet Explorer icon nothing happens. I ran a malwarebytes scan which yielded 5 trojans. I also ran Avast Virus scan which yielded two viruses.

I tried repairing the windows XP files using the windows XP cd repair option. However upon completion of the repair the laptop boots up but doesn't make it to the desktop. Instead it just keeps restarting. Right before its suppose to get to the desktop, it restarts itself again. This is so frustrating.

Can anyone assist fix my laptop?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Ohhhk, so..

It a cyclic reboot, try running a repair disc and then booting into safe mode and rip the remaining virus's using rkill > mbam > Avast > Combofix.

If this doesn't work I would recommend a fresh install of windows.

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

toicy4ya

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Unfortunately i cannot complete a repair using my windows XP CD, i keep getting the following message;

Setup has already attempted to upgrade the following Windows installation
C:\WINDOWS "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

Setup will try to complete the upgrade again.

•To retry upgrading to Windows XP, press Enter

•To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC

•To quit Setup, press F3

If I hit Enter it copies the filed to the Windows Installation Folders then once this process has completed the laptop restarts itself and i run into the same propblem of it continuasly restarting.

If i hit R, it gives me the Windows Recovery Console which asks me, "Which Windows Installation would you like to log onto <To cancel, press ENTER>? however, i am not quite sure what to do here.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Status
Not open for further replies.