Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Requires 20 TB RAID at low cost

Last response: in Storage
February 27, 2011 8:52:25 AM

Hi friends,
I want to purchase 20TB of RAID at lower cost. Performance is not important. Can you please suggest some models in the market .I know about only about single hard disk.Can you guys help me.

More about : requires raid low cost

a c 93 G Storage
February 27, 2011 1:32:33 PM

what is your budget?
m
l
a b G Storage
February 27, 2011 10:13:31 PM

gootysukumarreddy said:
Hi friends,
I want to purchase 20TB of RAID at lower cost. Performance is not important. Can you please suggest some models in the market .I know about only about single hard disk.Can you guys help me.

Twelve (12) SATA RAID system scalable to 20 drives would do plenty good for you...

Add 11x 2.0TB WD green @ $80.00/ea for raid5
or
11x 2.0TB WD green @ $80.00/ea for raid0 ( no redundant)

You still have ability to expand up to 20x HDD
If you go with this solution, use the email notification, it saves you lot of unpleasant supprises

m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
February 27, 2011 11:51:40 PM

greens will be REALLY slow though, even a blue isn't that much more and gives you 7200 RPM performance.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 28, 2011 1:58:22 AM

There have been concerns with using the more modern WD green/blue/black drives in RAID. RE4 WD drives are designed for raid arrays and don't have the 'problem' built into them.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 28, 2011 4:17:16 PM

gtvr said:
greens will be REALLY slow though, even a blue isn't that much more and gives you 7200 RPM performance.

There is a different from GREEN vs 7200rpm drive, but the objection here is LOW COST and someone19 does not mind 10~20% slower :-)
m
l
a b G Storage
February 28, 2011 6:05:07 PM

someone19 said:
There have been concerns with using the more modern WD green/blue/black drives in RAID. RE4 WD drives are designed for raid arrays and don't have the 'problem' built into them.

There are certain raid card does not like green or desktop drive, but not every raid controller does that, particularly the hardware assist raid card does not care whether the HDD green or desktop

Also RE4 is not a low cost HDD
m
l
a b G Storage
February 28, 2011 6:17:52 PM

Yes, I know RE4 isn't a low cost drive, and wouldn't be acceptable for the OP's purpose, I guess I should have mentioned that looking at a manufacturer other than WD would be in order if those potential array problems worry the OP.

Me, I'd want to know and wouldn't build an array of that size with WD Greens.

I am not in a position to recommend an alternative drive however, as I haven't been versed in the drives available these days. I'm looking at the spinpoint F3 drives for my build, but that's not going to fit with the purpose of the OP's request.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 28, 2011 7:08:40 PM

Any desktop drive would work. You don't have to use WD.
Seagate, Samsung or Hitachi for that matter
m
l
March 9, 2011 3:46:22 AM

Since RAID arrays at larger capacity comes at higher cost.

Is there any raid controller that maintain hard-disks to be fit on motherboard and supports expandable hard disk ports.
m
l

Best solution

a c 289 G Storage
March 9, 2011 12:29:44 PM

gootysukumarreddy said:
Since RAID arrays at larger capacity comes at higher cost.

Is there any raid controller that maintain hard-disks to be fit on motherboard and supports expandable hard disk ports.

Someone posted a real beauty here recently. It was Firewire2 in this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

The device is: http://www.datoptic.com/esata-hardware-raid-controller.... . With 2TB drives, though, you would need two to get 20GB raw capacity, three for RAID (and you'd have three smaller volumes).

And here, before me, is Firewire2 with a one-device solution. Firewire2, do you work with this stuff for a living, or do you just have an expensive hobby?
a b G Storage
March 10, 2011 12:40:29 AM

Yes, i'm an IT consultant, of course I make a living in data storage field :-)

I use some of DATOptic stuff to built custom storage....

Here is what I did with those raid controllers

40TB NAS consumes 180W power

This is for my client :-). If you need help PM me, I will do my best
m
l
March 17, 2011 6:44:21 AM

Best answer selected by gootysukumarreddy.
m
l
March 17, 2011 6:45:17 AM

Thanks guys for all your efforts.
m
l
October 9, 2012 10:15:53 AM

FireWire2 said:
Yes, i'm an IT consultant, of course I make a living in data storage field :-)

I use some of DATOptic stuff to built custom storage....

Here is what I did with those raid controllers

40TB NAS consumes 180W power

This is for my client :-). If you need help PM me, I will do my best

Hi Can u please suggest me the price for 20 TB HArd Disk and how n where to purchase it..

RegardsJay MEhta
m
l
!