Toshiba Tecra S1 Audio Problems

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2004 1:41:58 PM

I have a Toshiba Tecra S1 (PT831C-0ZQ3V) that has this annoying problem.
Whenever I boot up the notebook in the morning, the sound plays at a slow
speed. A few weeks ago, when the problem first started, the problem can be
fixed by a reboot. However, during the last week or so, rebooting the
notebook only fixes it about 10% of the time.

Now, everytime I start the notebook, I have to go into the Device Manager,
disable the SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio driver, re-enable it and the
audio becomes fine again. I did a search on Google and there are people
with similar problems, but nobody seems to have a solution.

I have tried downloading the driver from the Toshiba web site and reinstall
it, even though it has the same version as the one I have. I have wiped
clean my Windows XP installation and did a system restore from the CDs that
came with the notebook. I even called Toshiba tech support and they have
no idea how to fix it.

I was just wondering if anyone had similar experience and was a solution
found? It's just annoying that everytime I start the machine, I have to go
disable and re-enable the stupid driver. Maybe there's a third-party audio
driver that I am not aware of?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-lyj
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 11:56:32 PM

Sounds to me like something (some software) got its hooks into the audio
driver and didn't let go. Have you tried to go into Control Panel,
Device Manager, to delete the SoundMax Integrated and then refresh it -
when it's running really slow.

I take it that the audio hadn't always performed this poorly. So my guess
is "since some piece of software was installed onto this computer" and the
problem started. This could take a while...
!