Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 external USB hard drive will not stay mounted

Last response: in Storage
February 27, 2011 4:16:06 PM

I recently replaced my 1TB Seagate FreeAgent external USB drive with a 2TBy FreeAgent.
However, the 2TB drive will not stay mounted for more than about an hour, even if it is in use. (E.g.
while doing backups.)

Any ideas on a fix?

Windows 7, 32 bit, Intel motherboard (about three years old), IHC9 USB controller.

Thanks, Bill
a b $ Windows 7
a c 116 G Storage
February 27, 2011 8:33:07 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

I had a similar issue with my compact external hard drive. The problem was due to the heat generated. I set the drive on risers in a well ventilated space and the problem went away. Even so, I try to use the external drive for limited periods of time because of the heat dissipation (or rather lack of dissipation) issue. My external is a 250 GB, 2.5" disk in an aluminum, closed. non-vented case.

Try better ventilation.
m
l
February 27, 2011 10:35:58 PM

Ubrales said:
Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

I had a similar issue with my compact external hard drive. The problem was due to the heat generated. I set the drive on risers in a well ventilated space and the problem went away. Even so, I try to use the external drive for limited periods of time because of the heat dissipation (or rather lack of dissipation) issue. My external is a 250 GB, 2.5" disk in an aluminum, closed. non-vented case.

Try better ventilation.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I doubt that is the problem in this case. The drive is sitting upright as intended by the manufacturer and is in a location well away from the computer itself: It never gets more than slightly warm to the touch. (Which, of course, does preclude a design problem, but I have not seen that show up as an issue anywhere.)

Bill
m
l
Related resources
!