NCC1701

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I just completed a new build. It's been awhile. I have an Asrock Z68 extreme 4 with I7 2600k
I have it stable at about 4890 Mhz. but my temps are in the high 70's low 80's running the Prime 95 rigorous stress test. This is a 1.42 V. I have a Noctua NH D14 cooler. What is interesting to me is that core 0 reads 10-11 C lower then the other cores consistantly. So while I am at 80 C on core 2 it reads 69 on core zero. I am wondering if my heatsink is not adapting well to the chip. I use thin layer of arctic silver as thermal compound. There were a few small scratches on the finish of the heat sink as it was used.
Any thoughts?

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
<< Not an expert but maybe a thought,lol.Yes you may have alot of different problems I am not absolutley sure but here are other thoughts....You may have not spread the silver compund correctly but usually I have never heard of one core being off temp than the others b/c of thermal paste.You may have core 0 not reading correctly and may be defective.You may also have internal heating and cooling problems with the chip making it defective but still working.The same may go for your case,you may have an air current drawing off to one side of the cpu creating a hotspot on one side of the chip.If I am correct I thought 65 C was supposed to be around max temp for a 965 like I have I think...not sure what i7's run but that seems a little high.I run 88-95F idle at 4.2 stable.You might be mixed up with C and F lol idk?

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

yeah thats a little high temp but like I said I really dont know i7's limits.Yeah hopefully you dont have a bad one ...I dont know why though...Intel charges an arm and a leg over my AMD 965 lol...you would figure a better built product ..ahhh.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Re-seat that HSF and re-apply TIM...your temps are due to uneven pressure across the chip.....That HSF is heavy so you have got to make sure that it is installed firmly...also due to the scratches on the HSF surface you may want to either lap it or apply a tad bit more TIM to fill in the cracks...I suggest lapping it to get rid of surface abnormalities

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Yea i tend to accidentally go a little too heavy on thermal paste or arctic silver most of the time,but most of the time i never have had a problem from overapplying too much either.But find what you think is acceptable coverage without too much extra that will leak onto the mobo circuts around the cpu socket.