Games keep freezing after about 5 minutes of play.

Trevedic

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
It seems that most of the games I play seem to freeze/stutter after about 5 minutes of game-play. From there every couple of minutes the game freezes/stutters for about 10 seconds and continues to do so. And then at times it seems I can run certain games for a good hour or so before they freeze. I don't think there is any rime or reason to it.

Here are my system specs:

Intel Pentium Dual Core 2180 2.0 Ghz
3 GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia 9500 GT 512MB RAM
Realtek Onboard Sound

Any help would be appreciated. This has been bothering me for quite some time now.

Solution
It sounds like a cooling problem to me.

Is there dust buildup in your case or the vga card fan?

Open up the side panel and direct a house fan at the innards, forcing good cooling. If the problem goes away, there is a cooling issue.

Another possibility is an ageing or overheated psu which is not delivering good power.
It sounds like a cooling problem to me.

Is there dust buildup in your case or the vga card fan?

Open up the side panel and direct a house fan at the innards, forcing good cooling. If the problem goes away, there is a cooling issue.

Another possibility is an ageing or overheated psu which is not delivering good power.

Solution

Trevedic

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009

I ran both Speedfan and Orthos and both of my cores maintained a temp of roughly 67C according to Orthos.

Trevedic

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009

I think it is an issue of overheating. I tried putting a house fan to it and was able to run Prototype for 3 hours straight which before I was unable to play 5 minutes without it stuttering.

Thanks for the help.

Now I just need to figure out how to permanently fix the overheating problem.

Trevedic

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009

Haven't had any problems yet. :)

Trevedic

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009

Perfect. That's exactly what I am looking for. However, will it work with my motherboard? I'm not quite sure how to identify what I actually have though.