Sign in with
Your question

LOCKED HARD DRIVE. Locked BIOS Need Help!!!

Last response: in Storage
February 27, 2011 5:02:59 PM

Hello,
I need a tool or way to wipe a hard drive from a laptop. The drive is locked at the BIOS LEVEL. I bought the drive from a friend. He does not recall locking the BIOS. Is there to wipe a hard drive with a locked BIOS? I just want to format the drive to use in a different laptop I have. Thanks in advance..
Thanks,
Charles
a c 143 G Storage
February 27, 2011 10:48:55 PM

Do you have a way to remove the drive & hook it up as a secondary drive to another PC & wipe it that way?
m
l
a b G Storage
February 27, 2011 11:09:53 PM

Did this friend perhaps steal the hard drive? or buy it on ebay?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
February 27, 2011 11:45:20 PM

You cannot format the hard drive from Windows you will have to boot from a utility CD or the Windows install disk to do that.
m
l
January 19, 2013 7:51:07 PM

havnfunhere said:
Hello,
I need a tool or way to wipe a hard drive from a laptop. The drive is locked at the BIOS LEVEL. I bought the drive from a friend. He does not recall locking the BIOS. Is there to wipe a hard drive with a locked BIOS? I just want to format the drive to use in a different laptop I have. Thanks in advance..
Thanks,
Charles

you could reformat all you want, however, it would not change it, what you need to do is remove the bios battery located on the hardrive, and if its a laptop let the battery die as most bios batterys are located on laptop motherbords, thus keeping the time and everything while the computer is asleep, then plug the computer back in, if laptop boot up on battery and let the battery then die, then put the battery back in and this should fix the problem, any questions email me at jacobburchardt@yahoo.com and ill help the best i can, getting a new hardrive is not advised unless verry necessary
m
l
!