Keystroke lag in FPS games

macskull

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
Alright, quick system specs before I start:

Asus P5Q-Pro motherboard
Core 2 Duo E7200 (2.53GHz stock, OC'd to 3.15)
4GB PC2-6400 RAM (2x 2GB)
2x 500GB SATA hard disks
Gigabyte Radeon HD4850, Catalyst Control Center 2009.0225.1546.28221 (driver version 09.3)
Logitech LX710 wireless keyboard/mouse combo

---

Simple rundown of my problem is this:

I get keystroke lag whenever I play FPS games (Combat Arms and Halo, specifically). No other games (the occasional Age of Empires, Warcraft, or Command and Conquer, and City of Heroes) get this keystroke lag. Mouse pointing works as expected, but when I press a key (WASD movement in particular) there's a short pause between when I press the key and when the movement actually happens. At that point it will act as though the key has been pressed - if I were to tap the W key, there'd be a slight pause and then I'd start to move forward, but even after I'd release the key, I'd keep moving for a while.

At first I figured it might be due to me using a wireless keyboard, so I tried hooking up a wired USB keyboard and rebooting. Same problem. Tried a PS/2 keyboard, same problem. Then I figured it might be a Vsync issue with the monitor, so I tried using D3DOverrider (included with RivaTuner) to force Vsync since the particular game I'm trying to play (Combat Arms) doesn't have an option to force Vsync.

I can provide more information as necessary, but this is driving me batty and I'd really like this solved.