running regedit & msconfig.exe

June 29, 2004 12:57:21 AM

Please Help!
When I try to run regedit & msconfig.exe it comes up and
then shuts down(disappear)on its own in a matter of just
seconds of time.
What's wrong? It wasn't always like that.
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 12:57:22 AM

You have the Gaobot worm. time to get some antivirus protection on your
computer.

Bobby

"Sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please Help!
> When I try to run regedit & msconfig.exe it comes up and
> then shuts down(disappear)on its own in a matter of just
> seconds of time.
> What's wrong? It wasn't always like that.
June 29, 2004 1:13:57 AM

Don't remember which one but I believe you've been infected by a worm.

"Sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please Help!
> When I try to run regedit & msconfig.exe it comes up and
> then shuts down(disappear)on its own in a matter of just
> seconds of time.
> What's wrong? It wasn't always like that.
Related resources
June 29, 2004 1:21:23 AM

Thanx for tip Jerry.

June 29, 2004 11:02:09 PM

Greetings --

The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

W32.Klez
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

W32.Yaha
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

W32.Spybot.Worm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the
Spybot mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose
definitions aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free
on-line scanners to double-check your system.

Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

McAfee Security - FreeScan
http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp