Low FPS on non-graphics intensive games

zipy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Hey, So mainly I play World of Warcraft and Team Fortress 2. I was getting between 8fps and 17fps, so i decided to swap out some parts.

First i swapped out my VisionTek X1550 (512mb) for an Nvidia GTS 250 (1gb). Nothing changed. I tried uninstalling the drivers, then reinstalling them, but nothing changed, so i decided to try something else.

Next, i swapped out my processor. I had an AMD 5000+ (2.6mhz dual core) for an AMD 5600+ (2.8mhz dual core) which is the best my motherboard supports. But still, nothing changed.

I have 3 gigs of RAM, which my motherboard only supports 4, and my power supply has a max output of 250W. My next move is to go to fry's and get a new power cord because my GTS 250 has 2 power jacks, though it only came with one 6pin adapter, so i'm going to go and geta new one.

This is really annoying me because alot of my friends have worse setups than i do, but are running these games at much better settings than i am.

Hoping for the best,
Zipy

GrowingTuna

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Those specs you listed are more than required to run these games at very playable frame rates, so something isn't right. I'd recommend updating your graphics drivers to the most current. I doubt that will fix the problem since you had this problem with both the ATI and Nvidia cards, but by updating the drivers to current you can eliminate that as a possible cause.

The 250W power supply isn't powerful enough to supply your rig with the power it needs (especially since I'm guessing that's the supply that came with case, which are usually pretty bad). Also, if your graphics card isn't getting enough power it won't function properly. Since you mentioned it's not fully plugged in, you're likely only getting a fraction of what you could from it. My suggestion is that you upgrade to a 450W (or more) power supply. If you plan on getting an even more powerful card or using SLI, I'd bump that up to 600W or more.

If you can check what model the motherboard is, that could also point to some clues. Check online to see if there are any known issues with that particular model, and if there are, any fixes.

GrowingTuna

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Those specs you listed are more than required to run these games at very playable frame rates, so something isn't right. I'd recommend updating your graphics drivers to the most current. I doubt that will fix the problem since you had this problem with both the ATI and Nvidia cards, but by updating the drivers to current you can eliminate that as a possible cause.

The 250W power supply isn't powerful enough to supply your rig with the power it needs (especially since I'm guessing that's the supply that came with case, which are usually pretty bad). Also, if your graphics card isn't getting enough power it won't function properly. Since you mentioned it's not fully plugged in, you're likely only getting a fraction of what you could from it. My suggestion is that you upgrade to a 450W (or more) power supply. If you plan on getting an even more powerful card or using SLI, I'd bump that up to 600W or more.

If you can check what model the motherboard is, that could also point to some clues. Check online to see if there are any known issues with that particular model, and if there are, any fixes.