Help, something isn't right.

doc5

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
OK, here's the situation. Sorry for the long post.
I'm running an ASUS P6T deluxe (first version). I've had this machine up and running since November of '08. I have the OS on the onboard SATA as RAID array, SATA DVDRW drive. I have a separate RAID controller running 4 drives for data. I then have an old IDE hard drive and an old IDE DVDRW drive on the onboard IDE controller.
Recently, I've hadthe computer lock up at odd times. Screen will just freeze, no ctrl-alt-del, no nothing. Reboot and everything is fine.
Well, the past couple days, I've realized if I let it be for about 90seconds or so, it will come back to life.
When it does, everything is as it was, EXCEPT, I have no IDE drives at all. they have vanished from windows drive manager, etc. The controller btw, still appears in device manager. I'm was concerned about the data on the IDE HD, so I began to copy some of it off, and this seems to make it happen much more often, though the time between request to copy 50GB of data and the loss of IDE drives is variable. And, I can access the IDE drives without trouble for some period of time.
Also noted, just before the hang and loss of IDE is that the IDE DVDRW drive will activate (sort of like during post) as it is hanging.
Besides the IDE controller on the MoBo dying, anything else you can think of or suggest I try to remedy the problem?
I am running the most up to date BIOS that isn't beta.
Virus scanning and spyware scanning are up to date as well.
Thanks for the help,
Quinn

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I think that's basically the problem. Not much way around it.

You may consider getting a couple IDE enclosures to store those HDD's in, so you can just use the storage via USB.