Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Ive been running this subject through the gears over and over here lol.I am trying every OC there is available.Help me get correct DRAM/NB/CPU/HT/VCORE and voltages for my 890GX ASUS mobo...once again heres my specs..
Cpu: 965
Name: NeoCloud
Stepping: C3
Frequency: 4080
ref*multi: 240*17
CPU voltage: 1.488
CPU-NB: auto(1.1)
nb frequency: auto(1920)
NB volts: auto(1.3)
RAM: 2x2GB 1800Mhz DDR3 9-9-9-24-1T @ auto (1.65)
Motherboard: ASUS-M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
Cooling: Air cooling/TT Black Widow V1
HT:auto(1920)
NB:auto(1920)?not sure?
HT voltage:1.2
This is stable enough to run crysis 2 and other games but not prime95 for more than 10 mins.I plan on lowering HT to 2200 and so on...

lowjack989@Neocloud---Set your RAM to 1600 MHz@1.55v-1.6v, Multi. to x20, vcore 1.488v-1.52v, FSB 200 MHz

hey lowjack what about NB/HT freq and voltages?

Solution
CPU/NB should be 1.21v....NB shpuld be 1.21v as well....HT should be 1.21v.... When OCing it at 4.1GHz I maintain a 1.51v vcore setting too.

OCing on this set-up is a pie job...very stable board....Having the NB OCed has caused not one issue as far as stability goes...I ran my first OC attempt on this set-up @2000NB and 2000HT....

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Believe it or not I have written down about 5 pages of OC instructions mostly from you lol, and yea its at 200x20.5 @ 4.1 ghz just to see if it will work.Might try to set NB down from the 2800 to 2600 and HT to 2200 according to bardacuda's settings if it keeps crashing at win7 startup (I get one or two crashes after altering settings)but so far so good,its slightly stable now(and I think you might know a little more considering you have my same hardware,lol).Then I am going to raise multiplier if its stable enough.Here is new cpuz.
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1847318
I also switched the ram timing 1T(default on my ram) back to 2T thinking it can help untill I get stable.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I had a helluva time trying to get this beast stable at 4.2 GHz at my max safe voltage which is 1.525v..In the end 4.1 is MAX safe OC for me...My MAX insane POST OC is 4.452 GHz@1.552v

BTW...OCing the NB to MAX is a sure way to get a noticable performance improvement. Whereas the HT OC no improvment yet it is communicating as fast as my CPU will allow which is 2600 MHz

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Hrmmm ok still trying out config cant get stable past 4.1 either.
Cpu: 965
Name: NeoCloud
Stepping: C3
Frequency: 4100
ref*multi: 200*20.5
DRAM freq: 1600
CPU/NB frequency: 2800
HT link: 2600
CPU voltage: 1.488
CPU-NBv: 1.3
CPU VDDA(optional): 2.5
DRAMv: 1.65
HTv: 1.21
NBv: 1.21
RAM: 2x2GB 1800Mhz DDR3 9-9-9-24-2T
Motherboard: ASUS-M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
Cooling: Air cooling/TT Black Widow V1
GFLOPS: N/A

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Really you should lower your HT to 2200 as there is really no benefit putting it higher than that, so setting it so high could be causing the instability for no gain.

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Check new specs reposted them edit last one.Sry we type too fast for me to reboot a thousand times trying to get back here and stable all at the same time lol.Do you think I should raise CPU/NB,HT and NB voltages? Also what else should I alter?

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Hmm it's still showing that u have HT link at 2600 for me?
Anyway as far as voltages you can probably put CPU-NB to auto or maybe 1.1 or 1.15.
NB volts you could try raising but you may just need to lower the NB freq below 2800.

For me I find it's better to find the highest stable frequencies before raising the voltages. Your hardware may just not be able to run at those speeds and you could raise voltage all day till you fry something and not get a stable system.
Once you find a stable setting, begin to raise the frequency, and if that becomes unstable, then try raising the voltage to compensate. If you raise the voltage by a good margin and still can't get stable then you've found your max frequency so step it down a notch, and then lower your voltage to the minimum you need to keep it stable at that frequency.

EDIT: By the way have you been able to pass stability testing with your CPU at 4.1 with everything else lowered to spec level? If not then it could still be that your CPU frequency is the problem.

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Writing all this down lol.Ok...so here is the correct in-order way to OC according to my BIOS and you Bardacuda.
Multiplier/FSB,DRAM freq,CPU/NB freq/HT freq over stable frequency's over Voltages lol.And no....I think I may have a bad prime95 download or a bad core now considering I havent passed it even on 3.6ghz and default auto oc the way I built it on auto without touching any setting and everything on default.I did set everything auto and 4.1 once and it did boot trying it now again to test your theory.

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Hey lowjack sry to keep asking you the same questions but.....set CPU/NB to 1.3 or 1.21?(you got me a little confused between NBv and CPU/NBv).I have CPU/NBv on 1.3 and NBv on 1.21(like you said). Then I also have HTv on 1.21. Thanks for all your help man considering I build alot of these setups and want to make sure everything can be set to safe levels eventually over time for regular ppl that dont OC if they have a problem with thier setups being too slow.And to tell you the truth most of the ppl I build my setup(or close like 790-880-890/555-955-965 setups) don't ever use it for what I do which is extreme gameage/overclocker enthusiast.But if they ever did have a problem I would be able to fix it with a simple multi or fsb raise by one click or so lol.Which btw.....when I was working at several places including Wendy's(Which I have no bias against just certain ppl working there), which there was a 17 yr old girl that told me she can just go to google(which I also have no bias against except for certain ppl that believe google has the answer for everything) and fix her pc anythime she wants......I cannot stop laughing over this.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
CPU/NB should be 1.21v....NB shpuld be 1.21v as well....HT should be 1.21v.... When OCing it at 4.1GHz I maintain a 1.51v vcore setting too.

OCing on this set-up is a pie job...very stable board....Having the NB OCed has caused not one issue as far as stability goes...I ran my first OC attempt on this set-up @2000NB and 2000HT....

Solution

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Sry Bardacuda ,....lowjack is right on these stable settings...and I would hate to raise voltages on anyones board to NB/1.25-1.3v or higher than default considering lowjack and many other ppl I built thier systems for would not like the power increase on thier pc's and power bills in florida lol.Yes,I know you are going to argue over higher NB voltages at this point but lowjack has sucessfully completed the TH AMD OC Table(which isn't much I know considering I still dont believe some of the vcore/voltage etc settings,lol)but they are all stated (like ive said before) to be stable and correct timings/voltages/multi and fsb settings etc here.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Atid2icGx257dFc1MnRteTlMb3VOMy13WklIRWRITXc&hl=es&output=html
I am on the Insane list here
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Atid2icGx257dG13NUxROGVjcG41ODRIdC1kWkRKT1E&hl=es&output=html
at some wierd azz backwards settings lol.
Also the AMD OC thread we are in now for futute reference to anyone else is here
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-261868_29_300.html

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
You'll get no argument here. Voltage should be kept as low as possible and only just enough to keep the system stable. I wouldn't suggest raising NB voltage unless you ran into a system instability after raising the NB frequency and it was still low enough not to cause harm to your system.

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Yea I raised NBv to 1.25-1.3 like you said after multiple boots (x10) to no avail and multiple crashes at win 7 boot (32) but stabe at 1.21 like lowjacks settings sry man don't wanna keep you around if you dont feel like it after putting you down so many times,lol.

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Yea but he has yet to experience many 965 OC crashes and OC settings to the max like us and many more OC enthusiasts that I have built many PC's for utilizing the 555-955-956 cores and 780-890 mobo's like us.I do not discriminate or hold any bias opinion against those with correct stable settings for my system and others just like it.

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

No worries just trying to help. I don't recall suggesting raising the NB volts to 1.3. 1.25, yes, but I should have specified that is only if you have identified a high NB frequency as the issue. I did say back in the other thread that NB @ 1.3V/2600 should be OK but I meant that only in a stability sense...and I only said that because that's what you had posted that you already had it set to...and not to say that you couldn't lower the voltage but that your instability was probably caused by something else eg. the RAM frequency.
You are right though I do not have any experience overclocking with that particular board or chip. I didn't realize bumping NB volts from 1.21 to 1.25 would cause instability...in fact I have never heard of an instability caused by raising voltage before. Only reason I can see that happening is if the small voltage increase somehow caused your thermals to go out of whack forcing a shut-down. Is that typical for this board, or ASUS boards in general or something?

Something is definitely wrong here if your system is not even stable with everything at stock settings. If this is the case you probably have a bad piece of hardware. If you have another CPU and stick of RAM kicking around that you know are good then you should try swapping out parts one at a time and stability testing in between to narrow down the culprit. If it's still not stable with good RAM and a good CPU then it must be a problem with some other component such as the board or the PSU.

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
ULTRA weird....I dont know but I am switching out to a new 955 for a customer and then gskill 1600 ram to see if that makes any difference,get back to ya later thanks man.I think Im getting thermal shutdown not unstability..because I can watch my heat climb 2 degrees F every second before it shutws off right after high 120's-130F.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Which cooler are you using on this RIG? I use an OK water cooler (Corsair H60) and at 4.1@1.5v I reach a maximum temp. of 124f or 51c... With a decent cooler you should be able to maintain a good OC...I just noticed that you didn't list one on the TH OC table...All this time your OC appears to been hindered by stock cooling...Also, just curious in this day and age why would you use a 32-bit OS, when 64-bit OS's are so readily available?

BTW..maximum temp. on the 965 is 143f or 62c

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Hey thanks again...yea I only got a ThermalTake V1 Black Widow Copper Fin 110mm fan. http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1243/thermaltake_v1_cpu_cooler/index.html
The suprising thiing is,I run alot lower temps at idle and gaming than most of these builds with the same hardware except they have usually a stock cooler.One of my friends with the 955-880 setup runs 104 idle and 130 playing wow or eq or one of those crappy games.I dont even hit 120 on any game except crysis 1 benchmarks and bad company 2 and a few others but not many.I figured that since I run 88F idle that it wouldnt increase that much considering I have the 10 fan setup in my ThermalTake Armor A60 case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133181&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo
I guess Im gunna knock it back to 3.9-4.0 untill I get a LCS.I use 32 bit for a variety of reasons.It is alot easier to install and get working than 64 bit on older machines that have been upgraded to compensate for the xp-7 switch.At the time I bought 32 bit, 64 bit didnt have adobe and alot of other programs compatible for it yet.And I would love 64 bit so I could utilize my 4GB of ram better than the 3GB that 32 bit locks it off to.I rushed into getting any win 7 when I got it as fast as I could so I could finally run dx11 games and games that were coming out at the time with dx9-dx10-dx11 modes that I never got to try.

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Lol yea always in a hurry to get the next best thing.Alot of upgrades in the past on this thing.Went from a 5670 to a 5770 and from a 500w psu to a 1000w.Modded a 60mm fan near the GFX card for better cooling and it helped about 5 degrees.I used to have a LCS but then it broke on my last system and I threw it out cause I dont want water in my mobo lol.They gave my cooler a really good review and when i bought it they changed the name to include Black Widow and it was 22 bucks at BestBuy lol.So Im not griping about the cooler...I just thought it might have been enough to get to 4.2.Guess not...Im going to keep it at 4.0 and try downing voltages again.Right now CPU/NB is 1.3 so ill drop it to 1.2-1.25 again see if that helps.I do think that too much voltage can cause instability because I noticed when it is too high on CPU/NB or vcore ...I dont even post bios.So I dont know ...I would hate to think any part in my pc is bad(which I dont think it is)....but will accept it and replace it if I keep getting problems at 4.0.Ill get a LCS as soon as I can to see if thats why Im crashing.I do think its a thermal event now that I looked at everything again so It may just be my cooler is stable at idle and so on during gaming but gets way too hot when prime95 overheats it.No program I have runs all my cores that speed so yea....thats prolly it.

Neocloud

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
If u guys are still around...just a couple more questions....So my ram is Kingston 1800 DDR3 (etc)...on the specs at newegg it shows it being able to handle up to 1.9v.The timings and voltages on reviews have it as low as 1600@1.5v....8-8-8-20(24).I get it now....even though my ram maybe rated to go as high as 1800 ..by underclocking it allows for tighter timings and higher cpu clock speeds by multiplier as opposed to a locked cpu with no multiplier and having to use the fsb instead.I hope I am correct in that statement ..but after years of playing with this thing thats my assumption so far.Also,My 125w 965 is newer than the 140w ones that came out before.I am guessing this directly coordinates to the vcore setting which maybe why you guys have the old 140w cores and I have the new 125w 965?Not sure...because this maybe why I am not stable at higher vcore settings?Please correct me instantly and harshly,.....lol