I7 build HEAT PROBLEM need suggestions

Klon0pin

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Hello all:

I recently built an i7 system. I am having a heat issue.

My Build:

CPU: i7 920
CASE: Cooler Master 690 Nvidia Edititon
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P6T (non deluxe)
GPU's: 2 BFG GTX 260's in SLI
MEMORY: 3 x 2 GB Corsair 1600Mhz
PSU: Corsair TX850
CPU COOLERS USED: Stock Intel, Cooler Master Hyper TX2, Thermaltake V1

Temps were obtained by using Core Temp .99.5

(With stock clocks: 2.67 Ghz) I am having a problem with the system overheating when the cpu cores are pushed to 100% by Prime 95 and certain benchmarks. The temps hit 100c in less then a minute before I manually shut the system down.

(Overclocked to 3.4Ghz) When the CPU isn't pegged at 100% it's not soooo bad. At idle the system temps are 38c - 44c. When playing a game such as Crysis for an hour or so the temps max out aroun 83c -85c.

The Asus P6t mobo has mounting holes to mount socket LGA775 coolers along with holes for the 1366's. I've went from the stock cooler to a Cooler Master Hyper TX2, and am currently using a Thermaltake V1 (which I am well aware are all low-mid range coolers). The Thermaltake cooler takes a little longer reach the high tempertaures, but it still ends up with the same heat result.

All heatsinks and the CPU heatspreader were thoroughly cleaned with 90% alcohol and installed using Artic Silver 5 to according to the installation instructions on the Artic Silver website.

All heatsinks were checked by physically touching the heatsinks/heatpipes to check for thermal conduction, and all heatsink fans are operating properly.

I've put a lot of time and money into this system and need to fix this heat problem. And I know that the SLI setup is adding a lot of heat into the case. But this is primarily a gaming system and removing the SLI setup is not something I'm going to do.

My question is would a high end cooler such as a Noctura NH-U12P or Cooler Master V10 fix the problem, or should I go for a water cooling solution? At this point I am not worried about price, and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

jive

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Hi Klon0pin

for sure to get good heatsnk will help you , I have the noctua push-pull and it work great for me. For load on prime 95 10 hours max temp is 76-77 C. The room temps is 28-29C. Don't put too much grease, used the one coming with the noctua fan. If your case have a top fan be sur It wil not suck out the air away of the heatsink. I have a tj-09 and a fan directly over my heatsink. the top fan psuh the air on the pull fans of the heatsink and the push fan pusht the air on my gtx295 . That airflow is the best I can setup for my need.