Motherboard Recommendation

Doliath

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I'm in the process of finalizing my first custom rig, and I've done a lot of reading to try and understand as much as possible to make sure that I don't make a mistake as far as compatibility and actually attempting to know what I'm doing. I've got most of the pieces planned out, but when I'm shopping for the motherboard, I feel over my head.

My system will have...

Thermaltake Element G Case
Intel i7 950 3 GHZ Processor
6 GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM (3x2GB)
2x ATI 5870 1GB Video Cards (Starting with one, but upgrading to 2 when finances align)
1 SSD and 1 Standard HD
TV Tuner
Assorted USB Devices
I will not be using a Raid system.

The majority of things I read are positive on ASUS, EVGA and GIGABYTE...but some of the subtle differences on the boards elude me and I'm also wary of some of the other brands because there isn't often much feedback on them (whether they might be good quality or not).

When I try to find the differences on things like...

ASUS P6T
ASUS P6T SE
ASUS P6TD Deluxe
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

My head starts to hurt.

My price range is for a board under $300, but I want to leave room to expand as I need to upgrade so something that just barely meets requirements isn't what I'm looking for.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Doliath

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009

Doliath

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
That cooler is quite nice, I hadn't seen it before today. You are right though, I'd unfortunately have to get a full size tower to accommodate it, there would only be a 2 mm clearance above the Coolermaster inside my case (which I already purchased). It was the same issue I ran into with the SpinQ VT that I originally wanted to get.