Bios doesnt recognize hdd, but dvd does

draganp

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I've changed the PSU, after thar the bios doesnt recognize hdd (it is some ibm IDE model), but dvd rw does. I tried another 5 IDE HDDs but only one has been recognized, just in master mode. I also tried many cables, and another psu, bios reset.... All those 6 hdds another computer/bios recognized with no problems. The motherboard is Siemens D1495.
Any idea?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You may have a defective IDE cable. Swap if you can. Also verify that the HDD is the Master and that the DVD is set to Slave -OR- that both are set to Cable Select. Double check that you power connectors are securely fastened as well (you may need to change to another power connector as well).

Good luck!

draganp

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I tried 5-6 IDE cables, also I tried another PSU. I use DVD and HDD on separate IDE controllers, and master/slave/cs..all possible combinations, but just one HDD is recognized, only in master mode.
The recognized HDD has a spec. 5V 500mA 12V 700mA, all others HDDs need a less amperage. For example, the same HDD like the recognized one (IBM Deskstar 61,5 GB) needs 5V 300mA 12V 500mA. Does it matter?
Sorry for my bad English

draganp

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Maybe the old PSU made the IDE controller or something other faulty...I cant see any other reason for recognizing dvd rom and just 1/6 hdd.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That is possible (defective IDE port/controller). Have you tried swapping the ports that the devices are attached to? Also, how about putting both the HDD and DVD on the same cable/port?

draganp

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Believe me that I tried all combinations. DVD and HDD on the same cable, swapping the IDE ports, different cables, different PSUs..but unsuccessful. I can understand the the bios doesnt recognize HDD, but I cant understand that bios can recognize DVD and only one of six HDDs, just in master mode....

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I agree that this is highly unusual. I suspect that the motherboard is defective, particularly the IDE controller. Make sure you don't have any bent pins in the connector/port itself.

It really does sound like you need to replace the motherboard at this point. The only other option I can think of would be to locate the most current BIOS for the motherboard (it is quite old) and try to re-flash the BIOS. This BIOS update process will sometimes fix minor BIOS configuration issues, but they can't fix a hardware problem. You could also try a PCI IDE adapter, but I have seen mixed results for how well they work.

Good luck!

draganp

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
When I turn on the pc, without IDE cable connected to the HDD, I can hear how the disk works, a little noise from HDD, but if I turn on pc with IDE cable connected, there is no any sound from HDD, it looks like dead HDD ;)

I think that this is a hardware problem and the bios flash would not fix it. I chekced the bios version and there is no newer version then this one.

If I find pci-ide adapter I will try it...

draganp

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I know how it card looks, but I have not it... thx anyway

Yes, I am hearing the HDD spinning up...but if the IDE cable is connected...I hear nothing.

I checked many times, all pins look OK.