Sign in with
Your question

HELP!! My new system won't even make it to the POST test!

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2009 4:19:20 AM

I just built a new system using an Asus M3A78-EM motherboard, an AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8 GHz processor, a Silio Coolmaster case with a 500 Watt PSU, and 2 sticks of PNY MD4096KD2 1066 DDR2 ram. The problem is that it won't completely boot up. The fans will spin for around 2 seconds, then all dark, except the power LED on the motherboard. I've checked PSU's power output during the initial 2 seconds, and all of the voltages are there. But I cannot seem to turn the unit on and make it to the POST test. I've removed all non-essential equipment, including the Optical drive, HD, and 1 of the sticks of RAM. Nothing. Does anybody have any ideas as to what might be going wrong with my new setup?
Thanks,
vizslaman

More about : system make post test

June 15, 2009 4:42:46 AM

MB standoffs correct? HSF plugged in correctly? Proper connectors to MB? Did you try setting your MB up outside of the case with just the absolute minimum, and does your MB have a speaker for beeps, or what?
June 15, 2009 7:00:47 AM

The standoffs are installed correctly, the processor fan is plugged in, and no, there are no beeps at all. Even when I remove all of my memory. I don't really want to uninstall my CPU, as I do not have any extra heat transfer compound to reinstall it. I've not tried to power the MB up on the table yet.
vizslaman
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2009 10:55:50 AM

No beeps, the fans twitch for a a split second, sounds like a classic sympton of a short circuit. Did you ground yourself before handling the components? You'd be surprised how easy static electricity can zap a component.
!