Sign in with
Your question

SSD with Intel Atom

Last response: in Storage
February 28, 2011 7:57:19 AM

I'm just wondering if it is worth putting a SSD into an Intel Atom based computer. Will it increase the response of the Operating system and its programs. Or will the Atom prossecsor slow it down?

More about : ssd intel atom

a b G Storage
February 28, 2011 5:10:20 PM

I don't care how slow a processor is, I/O to a physical device is an order of magnitude slower. as a SSD is significantly faster than a HDD, I think that it couldn't help but speed up the ATOM response.
m
l
February 28, 2011 9:30:02 PM

ok so when i get the money i'll try an ssd.
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2011 11:31:31 PM

You should also consider getting more RAM or making a RAID0 array to give you more performance as well. SSD's are quite expensive at the moment, so a RAM upgrade/RAID config will give you a performance boost for cheap.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 28, 2011 11:45:56 PM

PudgyChicken said:
You should also consider getting more RAM or making a RAID0 array to give you more performance as well. SSD's are quite expensive at the moment, so a RAM upgrade/RAID config will give you a performance boost for cheap.

I would never recommend RAID0. Yes it does improve performance, but it also doubles your chances of a disk failure, :ouch:  and if you lose one drive in the array, you have just lost ALL the data on the array! :cry: 

The risks are just not worth it to me. :pfff: 
m
l
March 1, 2011 8:05:06 AM

guys it's my netbook mini form HP. So it dose not have an extra HDD slot for raid. I just wanted to know if it is worth it to put a SSD into an Atom based netbook.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 1, 2011 11:25:29 AM

blackpanther26 said:
guys it's my netbook mini form HP. So it dose not have an extra HDD slot for raid. I just wanted to know if it is worth it to put a SSD into an Atom based netbook.

Considering how slow most netbook HDDs are, I think a SSD would really shine in that application. ;) 
m
l
March 4, 2011 2:33:36 AM

It would not hurt. I think it would be a waste of money and time for a little proformance upgrade. The amount of money it would cost to do that would almsot be as much as a new netbook. No its NOT worth it!
m
l
!