"Rewind" function

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 14, 2005 3:19:28 AM

Is there a button push sequence that will reset a recorded movie to
the beginning?
That is, the functionality of rewind on a VCR?

TIA

Ed

More about : rewind function

February 14, 2005 3:19:29 AM

Sure. Just press the forward arrow (the right facing arrow) until you reach
the end of the recording and it will reset to the beginning.
If you've turned the forward arrow into a 30 second skip this is
impractical. In this case you'll need to fast forward thru the recording to
reset to the beginning.

"Jag Man" <Jag_Man653R-E-MOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a button push sequence that will reset a recorded movie to
> the beginning?
> That is, the functionality of rewind on a VCR?
>
> TIA
>
> Ed

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:32:00 AM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:19:28 +0000, Jag Man wrote:

> Is there a button push sequence that will reset a recorded movie to the
> beginning?
> That is, the functionality of rewind on a VCR?

Push the Info button twice. First will take it to the end of the recording
session, again will take it to start of it. Pressing FF or rewind and then
the Info button will cause it to jump in increments of 15, 30, or 60
minutes depending on length of recording. BUT, I haven't used a tivo
remote in 3 years, and I don't recall what I have the Info button on my
remote programmed as. If the tivo remote has an info button, it's probably
the same, but.....

February 14, 2005 3:32:01 AM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:32:00 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

> Push the Info button twice. First will take it to the end of the recording
> session, again will take it to start of it. [...] BUT, I haven't used a
> tivo remote in 3 years, and I don't recall what I have the Info button
> on my remote programmed as. If the tivo remote has an info button, it's
> probably the same, but.....

No, the "Info" button on the TiVo remote shows information about the
recording (it's about the same as pressing the Right Arrow, in some
situations...).

The button that performs as you described above is called the "Advance"
button. It is immediately underneath the "FF" button on the TiVo remote.
(Down and to the right from the yellow Pause button.)

Note that the Advance button only works as above if the TiVo does not have
the "30 Second Skip" backdoor code enabled.

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

"Jag Man" <Jag_Man653R-E-MOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:k8SPd.4689$ZZ.3835@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net...
> Is there a button push sequence that will reset a recorded movie to
> the beginning?
> That is, the functionality of rewind on a VCR?

Rewind works the same on the DVR as on a VCR while in Play mode.
Depending on the length of the recording, the "advance" button will
jump back 30 minutes or 15 minutes with each press when in Rewind mode.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 4:09:38 AM

In article <k8SPd.4689$ZZ.3835@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net>, Jag_Man653R-
E-MOVE@hotmail.com says...
> Is there a button push sequence that will reset a recorded movie to
> the beginning?
> That is, the functionality of rewind on a VCR?
>
> TIA
>
> Ed

The advance button under the FF button does this by default. Most
everyone turns on 30 second skip which takes over this button. Either FF
or RW and press the advance button. It will skip 15 to 30 minutes each
time you press it.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:45:14 PM

OK, I understand now. Thanks. I guess in the rush to reprogram the
Advance key to
Jump 30 sec forward I did not realize that I was losing the ability to
easily and quickly
get back to the beginning of a recorded session.

Now let me say what I really want to do. I recently got an MX-500
Learning universal remote
control. It already has a soft key for Jump 30 sec forward. Now I'd
like to have a soft
key to return to the beginning of a recorded session. So what I need
to do is reset the
TiVo Advance key back to its normal functionality, then teach the
MX-500 from this key,
then reset the TiVo Advance key back to do the Jump.

So, how do do I get the TiVo Advance key back to factory setting?

Ed
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:45:15 PM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:45:14 +0000, Jag Man wrote:

> Now let me say what I really want to do. I recently got an MX-500
> Learning universal remote control. It already has a soft key for Jump 30
> sec forward. Now I'd like to have a soft key to return to the beginning
> of a recorded session. So what I need to do is reset the TiVo Advance
> key back to its normal functionality, then teach the MX-500 from this
> key, then reset the TiVo Advance key back to do the Jump.

A macro like this would work for "Jump to beginning"

Select
Play
Select
3
0
Select
[It might help to have a pause here]
Advance
Advance
[It might help to have a pause here]
Select
Play
Select
3
0
Select

That would turn off 30second skip, skip to the end of the recording, and
turn 30second skip back on.

Just leave all your other keys alone.

It wouldn't work to turn off the 30second skip toggle and teach your
MX-500 that signal, because the toggle is in the TiVo, not the remote. The
remote sends the same IR code when you press the "Advance" button, whether
the 30second skip toggle is on or off.

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

> A macro like this would work for "Jump to beginning"
>
> Select
> Play
> Select
> 3
> 0
> Select
> [It might help to have a pause here]
> Advance
> Advance
> [It might help to have a pause here]
> Select
> Play
> Select
> 3
> 0
> Select
>
> That would turn off 30second skip, skip to the end of the recording, and
> turn 30second skip back on.
>
> Just leave all your other keys alone.
>
> It wouldn't work to turn off the 30second skip toggle and teach your
> MX-500 that signal, because the toggle is in the TiVo, not the remote. The
> remote sends the same IR code when you press the "Advance" button, whether
> the 30second skip toggle is on or off.

Lenroc, Advance still works if you are in FF or Reverse mode, right? In
which case a simpler macro would just be:

FF
Advance
Advance

I can't remember if that would leave you in FF mode, but if it does, you
just use:

FF
Advance
Advance
Play

instead.

Am I missing something? That would seem to be much simpler.

Randy S.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:45:17 PM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:03:37 -0500, Randy S. wrote:

> Lenroc, Advance still works if you are in FF or Reverse mode, right? In
> which case a simpler macro would just be:
>
> FF
> Advance
> Advance

Almost. That would skip ahead 2 tick marks, not the same thing.

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

Jag Man <Jag_Man653R-E-MOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I understand now. Thanks. I guess in the rush to reprogram the
> Advance key to
> Jump 30 sec forward I did not realize that I was losing the ability to
> easily and quickly
> get back to the beginning of a recorded session.
>
> Now let me say what I really want to do. I recently got an MX-500
> Learning universal remote
> control. It already has a soft key for Jump 30 sec forward. Now I'd
> like to have a soft
> key to return to the beginning of a recorded session. So what I need
> to do is reset the
> TiVo Advance key back to its normal functionality, then teach the
> MX-500 from this key,
> then reset the TiVo Advance key back to do the Jump.
>
> So, how do do I get the TiVo Advance key back to factory setting?

IIRC, the same way you got it to do the 30 second skip- it is a toggle
function.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:09:44 PM

"Jag Man" <Jag_Man653R-E-MOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:_k6Qd.36$Pz7.3@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> OK, I understand now. Thanks. I guess in the rush to reprogram the
> Advance key to
> Jump 30 sec forward I did not realize that I was losing the ability to
> easily and quickly
> get back to the beginning of a recorded session.
>
> Now let me say what I really want to do. I recently got an MX-500
> Learning universal remote
> control. It already has a soft key for Jump 30 sec forward. Now I'd
> like to have a soft
> key to return to the beginning of a recorded session. So what I need
> to do is reset the
> TiVo Advance key back to its normal functionality, then teach the
> MX-500 from this key,
> then reset the TiVo Advance key back to do the Jump.
>
> So, how do do I get the TiVo Advance key back to factory setting?

You can repeat the 30 sec enabling sequence to remove 30 sec skip.

But remember that enabling 30 sec skip alters the receiver and not
the remote. The remote will always send the "advance" IR code.
You can't "teach" a MX-500 alternate codes for the advance button,
since that button won't send more than one code.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:55:04 PM

"Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:FW6Qd.54088$B95.32673@lakeread02...
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:45:14 +0000, Jag Man wrote:
>
> > Now let me say what I really want to do. I recently got an MX-500
> > Learning universal remote control. It already has a soft key for Jump 30
> > sec forward. Now I'd like to have a soft key to return to the beginning
> > of a recorded session. So what I need to do is reset the TiVo Advance
> > key back to its normal functionality, then teach the MX-500 from this
> > key, then reset the TiVo Advance key back to do the Jump.
>
> A macro like this would work for "Jump to beginning"
>
> Select
> Play
> Select
> 3
> 0
> Select
> [It might help to have a pause here]
> Advance
> Advance
> [It might help to have a pause here]
> Select
> Play
> Select
> 3
> 0
> Select
>
> That would turn off 30second skip, skip to the end of the recording, and
> turn 30second skip back on.
>
> Just leave all your other keys alone.
>
> It wouldn't work to turn off the 30second skip toggle and teach your
> MX-500 that signal, because the toggle is in the TiVo, not the remote. The
> remote sends the same IR code when you press the "Advance" button, whether
> the 30second skip toggle is on or off.

You can't program a macro for Jump to beginning.
What happens when the macro is executed depends on the length of a recording
and where the current play position is in that recording.

Two advance presses won't always produce the same result, not even when 30 sec
skip is enabled for that button.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:55:05 PM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:55:04 +0000, Jack Ak wrote:

> You can't program a macro for Jump to beginning. [...]

What's wrong with the macro I posted (that you quoted)?

> Two advance presses won't always produce the same result, not even when 30 sec
> skip is enabled for that button.

No, certainly not when 30sec skip is _enabled_, but if it is _disabled_
(as the macro I posted ensures, assuming that 30sec skip is normally on),
2xAdvance will get you to the beginning.

Try it. Play a movie, turn off 30sec skip, and press "Advance" twice. It
works for me, at least, even on a 2.5hr long movie.

The only problem that I know of with the macro I posted is that it assumes
30sec skip is always on (and would fail miserably otherwise). Also, it
would have unpredictable results if you _weren't_ playing a recording...

--
Lenroc
February 15, 2005 1:13:27 AM

"Jag Man" <Jag_Man653R-E-MOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, I understand now. Thanks. I guess in the rush to reprogram the
> Advance key to
> Jump 30 sec forward I did not realize that I was losing the ability to
> easily and quickly
> get back to the beginning of a recorded session.
>
> Now let me say what I really want to do. I recently got an MX-500
> Learning universal remote
> control. It already has a soft key for Jump 30 sec forward. Now I'd
> like to have a soft
> key to return to the beginning of a recorded session. So what I need
> to do is reset the
> TiVo Advance key back to its normal functionality, then teach the
> MX-500 from this key,
> then reset the TiVo Advance key back to do the Jump.

Doesn't work that way. You're not changing the function of the key on the
TiVo remote, rather changing what the TiVo does when you hit that key.
Nothing changes in the remote when you toggle that function on and off.

> So, how do do I get the TiVo Advance key back to factory setting?

Same sequence that turned that feature on. Also, rebooting the TiVo sets
that back as well.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:55:03 AM

"Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:_paQd.55618$B95.26425@lakeread02...
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:55:04 +0000, Jack Ak wrote:
>
> > You can't program a macro for Jump to beginning. [...]
>
> What's wrong with the macro I posted (that you quoted)?
>
> > Two advance presses won't always produce the same result, not even when 30 sec
> > skip is enabled for that button.
>
> No, certainly not when 30sec skip is _enabled_, but if it is _disabled_
> (as the macro I posted ensures, assuming that 30sec skip is normally on),
> 2xAdvance will get you to the beginning.
>
> Try it. Play a movie, turn off 30sec skip, and press "Advance" twice. It
> works for me, at least, even on a 2.5hr long movie.
>
> The only problem that I know of with the macro I posted is that it assumes
> 30sec skip is always on (and would fail miserably otherwise). Also, it
> would have unpredictable results if you _weren't_ playing a recording...

You macro cannot *ensure* 30 skip is on or off.
What happens in LiveTV mode and during FF and Rewind cannot be ignored.

You recognize the problem. Two advance button presses will change current position
to beginning *only* when playing a saved program with 30 sec skip disabled.

Your macro will fail because it cannot detect when 30 sec skip has been enabled.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 3:48:39 AM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:55:03 +0000, Jack Ak wrote:

> "Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote:
>> No, certainly not when 30sec skip is _enabled_, but if it is _disabled_
>> (as the macro I posted ensures, assuming that 30sec skip is normally on),
>> 2xAdvance will get you to the beginning.[...]
>>
>> The only problem that I know of with the macro I posted is that it assumes
>> 30sec skip is always on (and would fail miserably otherwise).
>
> You macro cannot *ensure* 30 skip is on or off.

It can, as I stated, ensure 30 second skip is off, if and only if the mode
is already on.

> What happens in LiveTV mode and during FF and Rewind cannot be ignored.

LiveTV is irrelevant for a button to "rewind a recording to the
beginning".

> You recognize the problem. Two advance button presses will change
> current position to beginning *only* when playing a saved program with
> 30 sec skip disabled.

Which is why I suggest having the macro disable that mode before pressing
Advance...

> Your macro will fail because it cannot detect when 30 sec skip has been
> enabled.

It doesn't need to "detect" anything. For a remote macro, you can make
assumptions about what's normally true. If it was my remote, I'd set up an
unused button to toggle 30second skip (SPS30S). If the 'rewind' macro got
out of sync, I'd simply press the SPS30S macro button once, and, voila,
the rewind macro works again.

I admit it's not perfect, but it should work most of the time. When it
fails, none of the buttons being sent are likely to cause any problems.

If the OP is set on adding that functionality, I see my macro as the best
way advanced so far.

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

"Jag Man" <Jag_Man653R-E-MOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, I understand now. Thanks. I guess in the rush to reprogram the
> Advance key to
> Jump 30 sec forward I did not realize that I was losing the ability
> easily and quickly
> get back to the beginning of a recorded session.
>
> Now let me say what I really want to do. I recently got an MX-500
> Learning universal remote
> control. It already has a soft key for Jump 30 sec forward. Now I'd
> like to have a soft
> key to return to the beginning of a recorded session. So what I need
> to do is reset the
> TiVo Advance key back to its normal functionality, then teach the
> MX-500 from this key,
> then reset the TiVo Advance key back to do the Jump.
>
> So, how do do I get the TiVo Advance key back to factory setting?

So, the upshot is I can't teach my MX-500 to Rewind?
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 8:51:42 AM

"Jag Man" <Jag_Man653R-E-MOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, I understand now. Thanks. I guess in the rush to reprogram the
> Advance key to
> Jump 30 sec forward I did not realize that I was losing the ability to
> easily and quickly
> get back to the beginning of a recorded session.

NO you didn't lose anything. With the 30 second jump programmed simply push
fastforward once or rewind once and then hit the 30 second jump and the
recording will jump to the next white hash mark forward or backward
depending on whether you pushed ff or rw.

> Now let me say what I really want to do. I recently got an MX-500
> Learning universal remote
> control. It already has a soft key for Jump 30 sec forward. Now I'd
> like to have a soft
> key to return to the beginning of a recorded session. So what I need
> to do is reset the

I also have the MX 500 It is fully programmed for Tivo. I use the skip to
chapter hard button for 30 second skip. If I want to skip more than 30
seconds I do what I described above.

> TiVo Advance key back to its normal functionality, then teach the
> MX-500 from this key,
> then reset the TiVo Advance key back to do the Jump.
>
> So, how do do I get the TiVo Advance key back to factory setting?
>
> Ed

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 8:57:12 AM

> "Jag Man" <Jag_Man653R-E-MOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> OK, I understand now. Thanks. I guess in the rush to reprogram the
>> Advance key to
>> Jump 30 sec forward I did not realize that I was losing the ability
>> easily and quickly
>> get back to the beginning of a recorded session.
>>
>> Now let me say what I really want to do. I recently got an MX-500
>> Learning universal remote
>> control. It already has a soft key for Jump 30 sec forward. Now I'd
>> like to have a soft
>> key to return to the beginning of a recorded session. So what I need
>> to do is reset the
>> TiVo Advance key back to its normal functionality, then teach the
>> MX-500 from this key,
>> then reset the TiVo Advance key back to do the Jump.
>>
>> So, how do do I get the TiVo Advance key back to factory setting?
>>
> So, the upshot is I can't teach my MX-500 to Rewind?

Why so complicated? The MX-500 comes ready to roll. The 30 second skip
works for advancing by tick as well. Just make the MX learn the advance
button on the skip to chapter button and you will have full Tivo
fuctionality all centered around your thumb. Is pressing FF and then 30
second skip a couple of times a chore?

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 5:34:52 PM

Lenroc (lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:55:03 +0000, Jack Ak wrote:
>
> > "Lenroc" <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> No, certainly not when 30sec skip is _enabled_, but if it is _disabled_
> >> (as the macro I posted ensures, assuming that 30sec skip is normally on),
> >> 2xAdvance will get you to the beginning.[...]
> >>
> >> The only problem that I know of with the macro I posted is that it assumes
> >> 30sec skip is always on (and would fail miserably otherwise).
> >
> > You macro cannot *ensure* 30 skip is on or off.
>
> It can, as I stated, ensure 30 second skip is off, if and only if the mode
> is already on.

It doesn't matter if 30 second skip is on or off...if you know the right
macro to use.

Set up a macro on your programmable remote that consists of a lot of
repetitions of the following:

Rew (<<)
Advance (->|)
Play (>)

If you repeat this sequence enough times, you will end up at the beginning
of the recorded show.

This is because "advance" *always* does "skip to previous tick" when
rewinding, whether the 30 second skip "hack" is enabled or not.

I tried just "Rewind" followed by a lot of "Advance", but that left you
a few minutes into a short show if you are in 30 second skip mode, and in
an unpredictable place if you are not. Still, I don't see why anybody
would need a macro if they don't enable 30s skip (and who does this only
sometimes?).

The sequence above always guarantees that TiVo is in "Rewind" mode before
the "Advance" is hit. When TiVo hits the start of the recording, "Advance"
doesn't wrap around to the end...you just drop into "Play" at the start.
Hitting "Play" while already in "Play" mode does nothing but toggle the
timer bar. So, you are left at the beginning in "Play" mode.

Depending on your remote and your TiVo, you might have to adjust the timing
between the button presses.

--
Jeff Rife | "The old guy was leading a 'Simon Says' game
| when he collapsed. On the way down he yelled
| 'call an ambulance!', but no one moved."
| -- Wings
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 10:25:19 PM

Jeff Rife (wevsr@nabs.net) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> I tried just "Rewind" followed by a lot of "Advance", but that left you
> a few minutes into a short show if you are in 30 second skip mode, and in
> an unpredictable place if you are not. Still, I don't see why anybody
> would need a macro if they don't enable 30s skip (and who does this only
> sometimes?).

Another macro that works very well if you have 30s skip enabled:

Rewind (<<)
Advance (->|) eight times
Play (>)
Rewind (<<)
Advance (->|)

This will get you to the beginning of any recording, since TiVo spreads out
the tick marks as the recording gets longer. There should never be more
than 8 tick marks in a single recording.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/FoxTrot/Blackboard.gif
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:01:04 AM

>With the 30 second jump programmed simply push
> fastforward once or rewind once and then hit the 30 second jump and
the
> recording will jump to the next white hash mark forward or backward
> depending on whether you pushed ff or rw.

Great. Shows how little I know about these things. I thought I had to
skip skip skip....

> I also have the MX 500 It is fully programmed for Tivo. I use the
skip to
> chapter hard button for 30 second skip. If I want to skip more than
30
> seconds I do what I described above.

What is "Skip to Chapter" button? Is this on the TiVo remote or the
MX-500?

Thanks again.

Ed
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:06:49 AM

> Why so complicated? The MX-500 comes ready to roll. The 30 second
skip
> works for advancing by tick as well. Just make the MX learn the
advance
> button on the skip to chapter button and you will have full Tivo
> fuctionality all centered around your thumb. Is pressing FF and then
30
> second skip a couple of times a chore?

Not for someone who understands it, no. But I'm trying to get to a
point
where I can tell house guests how to operate the system with minimal
difficulty. Now, I have to go through about 5 remotes in my
explanation.
And when I go to use the system myself after they've left I find the
system in some strange state it was left in before they finally gave
up
and went to bed!

Thanks.

Ed
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 1:42:29 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:06:49 +0000, Jag Man wrote:

> Not for someone who understands it, no. But I'm trying to get to a
> point where I can tell house guests how to operate the system with
> minimal difficulty.

But why is a "rewind to beginning" function important?

If someone else plays a recording on your TiVo, and finds it in the
middle, wouldn't they just press "Rewind" once and wait?

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

> >With the 30 second jump programmed simply push
>> fastforward once or rewind once and then hit the 30 second jump and
> the
>> recording will jump to the next white hash mark forward or backward
>> depending on whether you pushed ff or rw.
>
> Great. Shows how little I know about these things. I thought I had to
> skip skip skip....
>

>> I also have the MX 500 It is fully programmed for Tivo. I use the
> skip to
>> chapter hard button for 30 second skip. If I want to skip more than
> 30
>> seconds I do what I described above.
>
> What is "Skip to Chapter" button? Is this on the TiVo remote or the
> MX-500?

MX500. It's on either side of the play button. I programed those as my 30
second skip and instant replay buttons. Now other than the TiVo button
everything is clustered and easy to use without even looking at the remote.

!