E7500 doesn't boot

some_one

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Hi,

tried to upgrade C2D E4400 -> C2D E7500 ... and yeah it doesn't boot. The POST starts, but hangs after a couple of lines, the last being "4096 MB OK".

The mobo is MSI P965 Platinum with AMI BIOS v1.80. The manufacturer's update note for BIOS v1.80 says : "- Update CPU Micro Code for Yorkfield & Wolfdale CPU.", so obviously E7500 should be supported. Any ideas, please ?

Solution
Not necessarily. Check for a complete "cpu support" section that lists individual cpus for each bios version. It's the only way to be sure your board will run with the e7500. The 965 chipset is one of the oldest chipsets to use core2 duo; you're at the mercy of the board manufacturer to update the bios for each new cpu.
Not necessarily. Check for a complete "cpu support" section that lists individual cpus for each bios version. It's the only way to be sure your board will run with the e7500. The 965 chipset is one of the oldest chipsets to use core2 duo; you're at the mercy of the board manufacturer to update the bios for each new cpu.

Solution

some_one

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately you seem to be right - I checked the MSI spec page for P965 and indeed none of the E7 -series' processors is supported, sigh. I guess I have to ask them about plans to update the BIOS.