Sign in with
Your question

Artifacts in OCed GPU: zero tolerance?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2011 2:21:00 AM

So I'm overclocking my EVGA base-model 460 1gb. I've run it for a couple of months at the clocks of the Superclocked model (850/1700/1000 over 720/900/1000 base) without any visible glitches. It's also been running Folding@Home GPU whenever I'm not gaming, 24/7. No problems there.
Just today, I tried to OC farther, using Precision and its scanner tool, which logs artifacts. This brings us to the main question:

How many graphic artifacts are acceptable?

On the Superclocked clocks, I had about 20 artifacts in 20 minutes, on the ~390 fps stress test. At even slightly higher clocks there were more, and at 840mhz I had none. Will one artifact per minute do anything to my gameplay? How about 10 per minute? 100?
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2011 2:27:03 AM

IMO...No amount of artifacting is acceptable...pull the OC back until you have none. Artifacting is a product of your unstable OC
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2011 2:35:32 AM

What will it do in actual gameplay? One missed pixel, or a missed frame, or what?
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2011 2:56:12 AM

really its impossible to say how it will affect your gameplay...maybe a lot maybe little it just depends on a lot of varibles
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2011 4:48:13 PM

Could you explain any of those variables, or do you just not know what artifacts do to gameplay? That would be fine, but don't bluster.
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2011 5:00:43 PM

kajabla said:
Could you explain any of those variables, or do you just not know what artifacts do to gameplay? That would be fine, but don't bluster.

When you are getting artifacts, that means your system is unstable enough it's producing errors. That also means it can be causing damage to the hardware. You really don't want to have damage to your system for a few extra frames.
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2011 5:04:24 PM

+1^---Exactly....Any artifact is BAD!!!

The variable would be how long before something crashed on you..
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2011 12:54:31 AM

Well, 840mhz it is, then. Gotta change this signature lol
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2011 8:53:11 AM

Let's compare artifacts like this: How many tumors are acceptable before you should consider going to the doctor?
June 3, 2011 9:58:10 AM

Toxxyc said:
Let's compare artifacts like this: How many tumors are acceptable before you should consider going to the doctor?

Seconded.
a c 197 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2011 3:28:20 PM

ROFL @Toxxyc!
That's right, any artifact suggests you may be putting damaging stress on your components.
!