Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD + 4-banks of memory = problems? True?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • RAM
  • AMD
Last response: in Motherboards
December 8, 2009 8:50:19 PM

In the process of choosing parts for my first home-build, I have come across comments stating that AMD-based boards have problems with running 4 sticks of RAM.

I have never seen anyone cite a source for such a claim, however, and so naturally I'm here to ask about it.

I'm fairly settled on the board listed below (obviously paired with an Athlon2/Phenom2), and intend to start out with just 4GB of RAM (2x2GB). I'd hate to get the board in question, assuming it's "future-safe" and then find out later on that I can't get it to work with all 16GB of RAM because of problems with utilizing all 4 memory banks.

Is this an actual issue, and if so, where is this information available?

Thanks for your help!

Pretty much settled on this board:
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : amd banks memory problems true

a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2009 12:20:36 AM

Its an issue with all chipsets and motherboards. The more modules or devices you plug into a multi-drop electrical bus, the more electrical loading is carried over the bus. This is the reason for the existence of Registered DIMMs, which allow the use of more modules at any given operating frequency (with a slight latency penalty).

It has always been the case. Until someone rewrites the laws of physics, it will always be an issue.
m
l
December 9, 2009 12:36:37 AM

tcsenter said:
Its an issue with all chipsets and motherboards. The more modules or devices you plug into a multi-drop electrical bus, the more electrical loading is carried over the bus. This is the reason for the existence of Registered DIMMs, which allow the use of more modules at any given operating frequency (with a slight latency penalty).

It has always been the case. Until someone rewrites the laws of physics, it will always be an issue.

I understand that load increases, and I would probably have to adjust voltages in BIOS or somesuch...

But, I'm not sure I follow... is this to say that I should just *expect* to have issues if I try to actually put the full 16GB of RAM in this board? Even given high-quality RAM, and BIOS adjustments?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2009 1:42:18 AM

You'll have no problems running 16GB. You might need to reduce the operating frequency of the memory, adjust voltage, relax timings, so on and so forth, but there should be no problem getting it to run.
December 9, 2009 1:51:04 AM

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I appreciate your time!
m
l
!