Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Long time Lurker, but now I have a question

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 8:41:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I've been playing Sims2 & Uni for a while now. I decided to upgrade my
computer with a new motherboard, processor, hard drive etc.

I backed up my individual Sims & the neighborhoods from the folder that was
in "my documents," and the game runs fine, except for one problem. The
memory thumbnails are blank, and when they "go somewhere" or they're "at
work," those thumbnails up at the top are blank as well. It's not a big
problem, just a nuisance.

I did re-install the game after I got the machine up and running, so I'm
just puzzled as to why those icon thumbnails vanished.

Thanks a bundle! I've enjoyed & learned a lot while "lurking," and if my
question has been answered in a previous post, I apologize.

--
Emily E

www.emilyw.com
May 26, 2005 1:55:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:41:34 -0500, "Bathtub"
<eelliott@emilyw.nospam.com> wrote:

>I've been playing Sims2 & Uni for a while now. I decided to upgrade my
>computer with a new motherboard, processor, hard drive etc.
>
>I backed up my individual Sims & the neighborhoods from the folder that was
>in "my documents," and the game runs fine, except for one problem. The
>memory thumbnails are blank, and when they "go somewhere" or they're "at
>work," those thumbnails up at the top are blank as well. It's not a big
>problem, just a nuisance.
>
>I did re-install the game after I got the machine up and running, so I'm
>just puzzled as to why those icon thumbnails vanished.

It happens to me every time I install University. Some say it's caused
by an object file being corrupt when University is installed. The fix
is supposed to be something like this: In the University folder
somewhere on your HD you'll find Tsdata\res\objects\objects.package.
Delete it. On the University CD you'll find a file called
compressed.zip. Open it with Winzip or something and copy the file
objects.package from the tsdata\res\objects to your previously
mentioned game folder and you should be fine.

If this is indeed the solution it certainly didn't work for me. I had
to pack every lot in the damned game, delete everything in the EA
directory, reinstall the games, put in the lots again and it would
work a while before I started to lose the thumbnails again. I had to
repeat the procedure and mark the objects.package file read-only. That
fixed it for me. Now I just keep a backup of the objects.package file
and move it back every time I install the game.


Now, if there is another solution to this problem I'd like to know
what it is.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:55:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

"Strider" <aaaa@aaa.aa> wrote in message
news:cuua91drse1jvs52qjlkotptikqvim4a12@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:41:34 -0500, "Bathtub"
> <eelliott@emilyw.nospam.com> wrote:
>
> It happens to me every time I install University. Some say it's caused
> by an object file being corrupt when University is installed. The fix
> is supposed to be something like this: In the University folder
> somewhere on your HD you'll find Tsdata\res\objects\objects.package.
> Delete it. On the University CD you'll find a file called
> compressed.zip. Open it with Winzip or something and copy the file
> objects.package from the tsdata\res\objects to your previously
> mentioned game folder and you should be fine.
>
> If this is indeed the solution it certainly didn't work for me. I had
> to pack every lot in the damned game, delete everything in the EA
> directory, reinstall the games, put in the lots again and it would
> work a while before I started to lose the thumbnails again. I had to
> repeat the procedure and mark the objects.package file read-only. That
> fixed it for me. Now I just keep a backup of the objects.package file
> and move it back every time I install the game.
>
>
> Now, if there is another solution to this problem I'd like to know
> what it is.
>

Thanks, I'll try this when I get home from work today.
--
Emily E

www.emilyw.com
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 5:55:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

OK this seems to be a known bug that results from Maxis programming (not
hacks in this case). Apparently there's some information on the BBS about
it but there's also a discussion of the fix here at Mod the Sims:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=49055

This is the BBS link (you'll probably have to copy and paste)

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?&...

Best wishes
Maxon


"Bathtub" <eelliott@emilyw.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:p tGdnTMVnZaGbAnfRVn-sQ@gbronline.com...
> I've been playing Sims2 & Uni for a while now. I decided to upgrade my
> computer with a new motherboard, processor, hard drive etc.
>
> I backed up my individual Sims & the neighborhoods from the folder that
was
> in "my documents," and the game runs fine, except for one problem. The
> memory thumbnails are blank, and when they "go somewhere" or they're "at
> work," those thumbnails up at the top are blank as well. It's not a big
> problem, just a nuisance.
>
> I did re-install the game after I got the machine up and running, so I'm
> just puzzled as to why those icon thumbnails vanished.
>
> Thanks a bundle! I've enjoyed & learned a lot while "lurking," and if my
> question has been answered in a previous post, I apologize.
>
> --
> Emily E
>
> www.emilyw.com
>
>
!