Long time Lurker, but now I have a question

I've been playing Sims2 & Uni for a while now. I decided to upgrade my
computer with a new motherboard, processor, hard drive etc.

I backed up my individual Sims & the neighborhoods from the folder that was
in "my documents," and the game runs fine, except for one problem. The
memory thumbnails are blank, and when they "go somewhere" or they're "at
work," those thumbnails up at the top are blank as well. It's not a big
problem, just a nuisance.

I did re-install the game after I got the machine up and running, so I'm
just puzzled as to why those icon thumbnails vanished.

Thanks a bundle! I've enjoyed & learned a lot while "lurking," and if my
question has been answered in a previous post, I apologize.

--
Emily E

www.emilyw.com
3 answers Last reply
More about long time lurker question

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:41:34 -0500, "Bathtub"
    <eelliott@emilyw.nospam.com> wrote:

    >I've been playing Sims2 & Uni for a while now. I decided to upgrade my
    >computer with a new motherboard, processor, hard drive etc.
    >
    >I backed up my individual Sims & the neighborhoods from the folder that was
    >in "my documents," and the game runs fine, except for one problem. The
    >memory thumbnails are blank, and when they "go somewhere" or they're "at
    >work," those thumbnails up at the top are blank as well. It's not a big
    >problem, just a nuisance.
    >
    >I did re-install the game after I got the machine up and running, so I'm
    >just puzzled as to why those icon thumbnails vanished.

    It happens to me every time I install University. Some say it's caused
    by an object file being corrupt when University is installed. The fix
    is supposed to be something like this: In the University folder
    somewhere on your HD you'll find Tsdata\res\objects\objects.package.
    Delete it. On the University CD you'll find a file called
    compressed.zip. Open it with Winzip or something and copy the file
    objects.package from the tsdata\res\objects to your previously
    mentioned game folder and you should be fine.

    If this is indeed the solution it certainly didn't work for me. I had
    to pack every lot in the damned game, delete everything in the EA
    directory, reinstall the games, put in the lots again and it would
    work a while before I started to lose the thumbnails again. I had to
    repeat the procedure and mark the objects.package file read-only. That
    fixed it for me. Now I just keep a backup of the objects.package file
    and move it back every time I install the game.

    Now, if there is another solution to this problem I'd like to know
    what it is.

    "Strider" <aaaa@aaa.aa> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:41:34 -0500, "Bathtub"
    > <eelliott@emilyw.nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > It happens to me every time I install University. Some say it's caused
    > by an object file being corrupt when University is installed. The fix
    > is supposed to be something like this: In the University folder
    > somewhere on your HD you'll find Tsdata\res\objects\objects.package.
    > Delete it. On the University CD you'll find a file called
    > compressed.zip. Open it with Winzip or something and copy the file
    > objects.package from the tsdata\res\objects to your previously
    > mentioned game folder and you should be fine.
    >
    > If this is indeed the solution it certainly didn't work for me. I had
    > to pack every lot in the damned game, delete everything in the EA
    > directory, reinstall the games, put in the lots again and it would
    > work a while before I started to lose the thumbnails again. I had to
    > repeat the procedure and mark the objects.package file read-only. That
    > fixed it for me. Now I just keep a backup of the objects.package file
    > and move it back every time I install the game.
    >

    > Now, if there is another solution to this problem I'd like to know
    > what it is.

    Thanks, I'll try this when I get home from work today.
    --
    Emily E

    www.emilyw.com

    OK this seems to be a known bug that results from Maxis programming (not
    hacks in this case). Apparently there's some information on the BBS about
    it but there's also a discussion of the fix here at Mod the Sims:

    http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=49055

    This is the BBS link (you'll probably have to copy and paste)

    http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?&openItemID=item.62,root.1,item.43,item.41,item.23&threadID=2ce761c1728440cbd042ff78d1e2a10b&directoryID=62&startRow=201

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Bathtub" <eelliott@emilyw.nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I've been playing Sims2 & Uni for a while now. I decided to upgrade my
    > computer with a new motherboard, processor, hard drive etc.
    >
    > I backed up my individual Sims & the neighborhoods from the folder that
    was
    > in "my documents," and the game runs fine, except for one problem. The
    > memory thumbnails are blank, and when they "go somewhere" or they're "at
    > work," those thumbnails up at the top are blank as well. It's not a big
    > problem, just a nuisance.
    >
    > I did re-install the game after I got the machine up and running, so I'm
    > just puzzled as to why those icon thumbnails vanished.
    >
    > Thanks a bundle! I've enjoyed & learned a lot while "lurking," and if my
    > question has been answered in a previous post, I apologize.
    >
    > --
    > Emily E
    >
    > www.emilyw.com

Sims Games Video Games