Cellphone Wireless Internet - your experiences??

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 16, 2004 3:51:18 PM

I have had Sprint PCS for some years now, and have never been able to
reach even 14,400 baud transfers. I can connect at 14,400 through my
Motorola phone, but the transfer rates are usually quite a bit below
this.

So, I was wondering if others might share their experiences with other
carriers, T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular, etc. I was wondering if you
use a regular data-ready cellphone or a separate PCMCIA card to
connect, what kind of transfer rates do you average, do you get
bumped off often like Sprint does to their cell customers, or any
other experiences you would care to share with us. I want to migrate
to another service but don't want to jump into the wireless fire.

Do any of these plans allow you a trial period without signing a long
term contract? Has broadband wireless come of age?

ALso, can anyone recommend a site which covers these questions? I
would be happy to get 40 - 56 K data rate, any of these carriers
supply those rates reliably?

BTW, when I signed up with Sprint about 4 years ago, they promised
144,000 baud "within one year" at same rates. Sprint reps lie a lot.

Thanks,

Jim
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2004 5:27:12 PM

Sprint Aircards work fine everywhere when I had them. Like a 28.8Kb
modem with their PCMCIA card.

That said, the latest TMobile $29.99 / month unlimited 24/7 service!!!
(yes, $29.99 / month for unlimted vs. $80 for all other carriers), is
the cheapest way to go today knowing that they'll all run 1x modem speed
or slower no matter what, in general.

Get the cheaper Merlin G100 GPRS PCMCIA card off ebay for <$80, or pay
for the $250 Aircard, and go online anywhere cheap & decently fast (keep
in mind, nobody's doing more than 1x modem speeds no matter how much
they chatter about their 'fast' service). Real-life = no way!

(certain lucky users can get faster speeds; use of download
accellerators usually provided with most services do give the
'appearance' of faster downloads, but the actual bandwidth is the same)

Also, ask www.wirelessadvisor.com -> forums -> your region to find out
exact who in your area is running what so you can get a very accurate
idea what speeds are close to you.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2004 6:01:57 PM

Hi Jim,

I use the T-Mobile unlimited Internet wireless. I got it in November when Wireless USA had a sale on the Sierra 750 wireless
card. The card normally goes for $350, I got it for $150. The service is GSM/GPRS and has pretty good coverage. The only place I
have been to so far that I could not connect was Bonners Ferry, Idaho (town of less than 5,000 people with only one cell phone
carrier. At $30 a month for unlimited access I think it is the most cost effective plan out their. There is no additional charge
for roaming. I was down in South Carolina last month and was actually connected through Cingular to the Internet.

The only bad thing about my setup, is that I feel the antennae is fragile. I haven't broken it yet . . . though I expect I will.
I travel quite a bit and am almost never in my office so my portable equipment gets heavy use.

When my modem connects, it always says 40Kbps. When I use the bandwidth meter, it reports speeds ranging from 36Kbps to 140Kbps
depending on where I am.

When I got the service, I got it more for WOW value (impresses the clients when we are having lunch and we can get on line) then
the expectation of using it very much. Now that I have had it for more than 5 months, I can say that I am very pleased with it
and never leave home without it.

Before you make a choice on carrier, I would strongly recommend that you give T-Mobile a good look.

Ciao . . .
C.Joseph

++ Let know man judge me until . . .
he has walked the road I have . . .
in the shoes I've worn. ++

http://kalek1.home.mindspring.com

Jim wrote:
> I have had Sprint PCS for some years now, and have never been able to
> reach even 14,400 baud transfers. I can connect at 14,400 through my
> Motorola phone, but the transfer rates are usually quite a bit below
> this.
>
> So, I was wondering if others might share their experiences with other
> carriers, T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular, etc. I was wondering if you
> use a regular data-ready cellphone or a separate PCMCIA card to
> connect, what kind of transfer rates do you average, do you get
> bumped off often like Sprint does to their cell customers, or any
> other experiences you would care to share with us. I want to migrate
> to another service but don't want to jump into the wireless fire.
>
> Do any of these plans allow you a trial period without signing a long
> term contract? Has broadband wireless come of age?
>
> ALso, can anyone recommend a site which covers these questions? I
> would be happy to get 40 - 56 K data rate, any of these carriers
> supply those rates reliably?
>
> BTW, when I signed up with Sprint about 4 years ago, they promised
> 144,000 baud "within one year" at same rates. Sprint reps lie a lot.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Related resources
April 16, 2004 6:17:23 PM

Until they cancelled my data service for 'breach of contract' (we won't
getinto that, I was getting about 125kbps through my Sprint/Sanyo phone.
"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
> I have had Sprint PCS for some years now, and have never been able to
> reach even 14,400 baud transfers. I can connect at 14,400 through my
> Motorola phone, but the transfer rates are usually quite a bit below
> this.
>
> So, I was wondering if others might share their experiences with other
> carriers, T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular, etc. I was wondering if you
> use a regular data-ready cellphone or a separate PCMCIA card to
> connect, what kind of transfer rates do you average, do you get
> bumped off often like Sprint does to their cell customers, or any
> other experiences you would care to share with us. I want to migrate
> to another service but don't want to jump into the wireless fire.
>
> Do any of these plans allow you a trial period without signing a long
> term contract? Has broadband wireless come of age?
>
> ALso, can anyone recommend a site which covers these questions? I
> would be happy to get 40 - 56 K data rate, any of these carriers
> supply those rates reliably?
>
> BTW, when I signed up with Sprint about 4 years ago, they promised
> 144,000 baud "within one year" at same rates. Sprint reps lie a lot.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2004 11:27:55 PM

"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
> I have had Sprint PCS for some years now, and have never been able to
> reach even 14,400 baud transfers. I can connect at 14,400 through my
> Motorola phone, but the transfer rates are usually quite a bit below
> this.
>
> So, I was wondering if others might share their experiences with other
> carriers, T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular, etc. I was wondering if you
> use a regular data-ready cellphone or a separate PCMCIA card to
> connect, what kind of transfer rates do you average, do you get
> bumped off often like Sprint does to their cell customers, or any
> other experiences you would care to share with us. I want to migrate
> to another service but don't want to jump into the wireless fire.
>
> Do any of these plans allow you a trial period without signing a long
> term contract? Has broadband wireless come of age?
>
> ALso, can anyone recommend a site which covers these questions? I
> would be happy to get 40 - 56 K data rate, any of these carriers
> supply those rates reliably?
>
> BTW, when I signed up with Sprint about 4 years ago, they promised
> 144,000 baud "within one year" at same rates. Sprint reps lie a lot.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim
Jim:

I have been using Verizon's Express net via a Sierra card. I have been on
the express net two years now on a personal basis. It works very well. I
usually get a 100K connection, although it slows at times. Because of my
experience, I have purchased several cards on our City contract for use in
the field by our technicians. It supports VPN quite nicely. Allows them to
get a good terminal access and emails with meg size attachments in
reasonable speed. It would be wonderful if 802.16 were implemented within
the City, but until then this option works very well.

Rich
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2004 11:36:55 PM

"David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
> Sprint Aircards work fine everywhere when I had them. Like a 28.8Kb
> modem with their PCMCIA card.
>
> That said, the latest TMobile $29.99 / month unlimited 24/7 service!!!
> (yes, $29.99 / month for unlimted vs. $80 for all other carriers), is
> the cheapest way to go today knowing that they'll all run 1x modem speed
> or slower no matter what, in general.
>
> Get the cheaper Merlin G100 GPRS PCMCIA card off ebay for <$80, or pay
> for the $250 Aircard, and go online anywhere cheap & decently fast (keep
> in mind, nobody's doing more than 1x modem speeds no matter how much
> they chatter about their 'fast' service). Real-life = no way!
>
> (certain lucky users can get faster speeds; use of download
> accellerators usually provided with most services do give the
> 'appearance' of faster downloads, but the actual bandwidth is the same)
>
> Also, ask www.wirelessadvisor.com -> forums -> your region to find out
> exact who in your area is running what so you can get a very accurate
> idea what speeds are close to you.
David:

Using the following link to test my speed I usually get a 100K (or there
abouts) connection using the 1x network on Verizon. It is independent of
Verizon and a resonable test. (Although there are many others.) This is
before adding Proxyconn to boost the speed a bit. That usually gets me a 20
percent boost.

Rich
April 17, 2004 6:51:27 PM

I was wondering with T-Mobile, do you have to subscribe to their phone
service first before you can sign up for the wireless internet, or can
you subscribe ONLY to the wireless internet for $30 per month?

The reason I ask, is that I use the internet connections only in 3
cities, Newark NJ, Norfolk VA and Charleston SC. Well, looking at the
T-Mobile service map, they appear to be missing from the Charleston
area.

I work on a ship, and mainly use wireless internet when we are in
those ports, and the Sprint data rates are abysmal and it seems that
whenever the cell tower gets busy they just drop you, giving you the
message "signal faded.... call lost....." and other baloney. This
almost always happens during peak times, in middle of night you can
get on for hours and never get bumped.

Have you tried accessing the wireless internet using your mobile phone
instead of the PCMCIA card? I wonder what data rates you could get
using just the phone?

Thanks for the input, think I'll give them a try as they only require
a 1 year contract.

Jim

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:01:57 -0600, "C.Joseph Drayton"
<kalek1@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Hi Jim,
>
>I use the T-Mobile unlimited Internet wireless. I got it in November when Wireless USA had a sale on the Sierra 750 wireless
>card. The card normally goes for $350, I got it for $150. The service is GSM/GPRS and has pretty good coverage. The only place I
>have been to so far that I could not connect was Bonners Ferry, Idaho (town of less than 5,000 people with only one cell phone
>carrier. At $30 a month for unlimited access I think it is the most cost effective plan out their. There is no additional charge
>for roaming. I was down in South Carolina last month and was actually connected through Cingular to the Internet.
>
>The only bad thing about my setup, is that I feel the antennae is fragile. I haven't broken it yet . . . though I expect I will.
>I travel quite a bit and am almost never in my office so my portable equipment gets heavy use.
>
>When my modem connects, it always says 40Kbps. When I use the bandwidth meter, it reports speeds ranging from 36Kbps to 140Kbps
>depending on where I am.
>
>When I got the service, I got it more for WOW value (impresses the clients when we are having lunch and we can get on line) then
>the expectation of using it very much. Now that I have had it for more than 5 months, I can say that I am very pleased with it
>and never leave home without it.
>
>Before you make a choice on carrier, I would strongly recommend that you give T-Mobile a good look.
>
>Ciao . . .
>C.Joseph
>
>++ Let know man judge me until . . .
> he has walked the road I have . . .
> in the shoes I've worn. ++
>
>http://kalek1.home.mindspring.com
>

>Jim wrote:
>> I have had Sprint PCS for some years now, and have never been able to
>> reach even 14,400 baud transfers. I can connect at 14,400 through my
>> Motorola phone, but the transfer rates are usually quite a bit below
>> this.
>>
>> So, I was wondering if others might share their experiences with other
>> carriers, T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular, etc. I was wondering if you
>> use a regular data-ready cellphone or a separate PCMCIA card to
>> connect, what kind of transfer rates do you average, do you get
>> bumped off often like Sprint does to their cell customers, or any
>> other experiences you would care to share with us. I want to migrate
>> to another service but don't want to jump into the wireless fire.
>>
>> Do any of these plans allow you a trial period without signing a long
>> term contract? Has broadband wireless come of age?
>>
>> ALso, can anyone recommend a site which covers these questions? I
>> would be happy to get 40 - 56 K data rate, any of these carriers
>> supply those rates reliably?
>>
>> BTW, when I signed up with Sprint about 4 years ago, they promised
>> 144,000 baud "within one year" at same rates. Sprint reps lie a lot.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jim

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2004 4:59:16 AM

there was a recent Wall Street Journal (Internet version) article in Walt
Mossberg's column, I think, about either TMobile or Sprint--he did some
comparisons--you should check it out.

"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message
news:D 82380h7iu95711krm5pglcbbrmuumvm0i@4ax.com...
> [...]
> >> carriers, T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular, etc. I was wondering if you
> >> use a regular data-ready cellphone or a separate PCMCIA card to
> >> connect, what kind of transfer rates do you average, do you get
> >> bumped off often like Sprint does to their cell customers, or any
> >> other experiences you would care to share with us. I want to migrate
> >> to another service but don't want to jump into the wireless fire.
> >>
> >> Do any of these plans allow you a trial period without signing a long
> >> term contract? Has broadband wireless come of age?
> >>
> >> ALso, can anyone recommend a site which covers these questions? I
> >> would be happy to get 40 - 56 K data rate, any of these carriers
> >> supply those rates reliably?
> >>
> >> BTW, when I signed up with Sprint about 4 years ago, they promised
> >> 144,000 baud "within one year" at same rates. Sprint reps lie a lot.

April 18, 2004 11:52:49 AM

Thanks Joe, but it would cost me $79 to read that
article. Could you summarize it for us?

Jim

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:59:16 GMT, "Joe Davis"
<davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote:

> [...]
>connected through Cingular to the Internet.
>> >
>> >The only bad thing about my setup, is that I feel the antennae is
>fragile. I haven't broken it yet . . . though I expect I will.
>> >I travel quite a bit and am almost never in my office so my portable
>equipment gets heavy use.
>> >
>> >When my modem connects, it always says 40Kbps. When I use the bandwidth
>meter, it reports speeds ranging from 36Kbps to 140Kbps
>> >depending on where I am.
>> >
>> >When I got the service, I got it more for WOW value (impresses the
>clients when we are having lunch and we can get on line) then
>> >the expectation of using it very much. Now that I have had it for more
>than 5 months, I can say that I am very pleased with it
>> >and never leave home without it.
>> >
>> >Before you make a choice on carrier, I would strongly recommend that you

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2004 5:39:20 PM

I had Sprint with Vision for a few years and consistently got over 125k via
a phone-laptop connection, but it largely depends upon how busy your local
network is. If you live in a metropolitan area, it's probably pretty slow.

I highly suggest you look into T-Mobile. Free unlimited web browsing (they
call it free WAP access) via laptop is included with all plans... even the
$20 a month one. You can use either a T-Mobile phone with data capability
via a USB cable to your laptop or infrared if your laptop supports it. You
can also use a T-Mobile data card. The T-Mobile Merlin G100 data card
routinely sells on Ebay for under $50 and is a nice little unit, so no need
to spend a fortune getting online. The free access is usually limited to
unsecure sites only, so no online banking, chat, etc. If you want full
access to secure sites and access to all available ports, it starts at $20 a
month on top of their voice plans or they have an internet only plan with no
included voice minutes (charged 20 cents per minute if you use voice) for
$30 a month. Any way you go, you'll need a one year contract. T-Mobile
service is contract only unless you go prepaid or fulfill your initial one
year obligation.

T-Mobile's top internet speed is only about 40k, but it's dang reliable and
promoted as unlimited. It seems to actually be getting a little faster, so
they might be trying to improve the speeds. If you can live with the speed,
I suggest you check into it. I switched from Sprint to T-Mobile last winter
and definitely wouldn't look back. Excellent signal strength and customer
service.

Good luck!

"Jim" <wdxp@cox.net> wrote in message

> I have had Sprint PCS for some years now, and have never been able to
> reach even 14,400 baud transfers. I can connect at 14,400 through my
> Motorola phone, but the transfer rates are usually quite a bit below
> this.
>
> So, I was wondering if others might share their experiences with other
> carriers, T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular, etc. I was wondering if you
> use a regular data-ready cellphone or a separate PCMCIA card to
> connect, what kind of transfer rates do you average, do you get
> bumped off often like Sprint does to their cell customers, or any
> other experiences you would care to share with us. I want to migrate
> to another service but don't want to jump into the wireless fire.
>
> Do any of these plans allow you a trial period without signing a long
> term contract? Has broadband wireless come of age?
>
> ALso, can anyone recommend a site which covers these questions? I
> would be happy to get 40 - 56 K data rate, any of these carriers
> supply those rates reliably?
>
> BTW, when I signed up with Sprint about 4 years ago, they promised
> 144,000 baud "within one year" at same rates. Sprint reps lie a lot.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

July 12, 2011 5:12:38 PM

It is a interesting sharing.......