Sign in with
Your question

PC won't boot after installing new Graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 6, 2009 3:51:25 PM

Yesterday I replaced my aging 7600GT video card with a Radeon 4770 card. I then turned on the PC the monitor didn't come on. The power button stayed amber instead of the normal white. I know what you are thinking, "Its the power supply," but let me finish. I pulled out the video card and reseated it, but this did not help. So I again pulled the video card and placed it in the 2nd PCI express x16 slot. This fixed the problem, everything worked great, till this morning. . This morning I plugged a USB flash drive into a slot on the top of my case and noticed it didn't work. I figured I knocked out the USB plug while moving the video card to the new slot. I powered the PC down, took off the side and I was correct, the USB plug had fell out of the motherboard. I plugged it back on, turned on the PC and now I am back to my original problem. I can hear the drive spin up and the video card fan spin, but the monitor won't turn on and my LED on my keyboard doesn't turn on.

The 6 pin power plug is plugged into the video card. The power supply has 2 six pin plug and I tried them both. I even went back to the first PCI express slot and it didn't help. I then plugged the old 7600GT back into the motherboard and that also didn't help. Short of tearing the whole thing apart, which I will do tonight, I am out of ideas.

My PC specs:

Asus P5W DH motherboard
Intel e6400 Core 2 Duo CPU
Artic Cooling Freezer pro heatsink
2 GB G. Skill PC-6400 DDR2 memory
Asus Radeon HD 4770 video card
180 GB Western Digital Hard Drive (for OS and Apps)
1 TB Western Digital Green Hard Drive (for storage)
OCZ StealthXStream 600w power supply. Only about 3 months old.
CoolerMaster Wave Master case

At this point I think something is up with the motherboard.
July 6, 2009 4:21:52 PM

from all the info you have there it does sound like a PSU issue especially the fact that it did not work again after you plugged the usb port connector back into the mobo. sounds like the PSU didn't have the power for the USB with the GPU connected.
July 6, 2009 4:59:28 PM

captaincharisma said:
from all the info you have there it does sound like a PSU issue especially the fact that it did not work again after you plugged the usb port connector back into the mobo. sounds like the PSU didn't have the power for the USB with the GPU connected.

I here you, but for the day it worked fine I had the following USB devices plugged in.

1. USB printer actually hooked up.
2. Ipod USB plugged in but not hooked to an Ipod
3. USB for digital camera. not hooted up.
4. USB for motherboard remote control. Running
5. USB Keyboard. Running

Plus the PC still will not boot up when I unplug all USB devices. Even if I unplug the USB top mount connector from the Motheboard.
Related resources
July 6, 2009 7:03:58 PM

Update:

I pulled the Radeon HD 4770 card and replaced the old Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT. PC booted fine. I will leave it like this till after the work day and tinker some more.

July 7, 2009 3:45:44 PM

This morning I plugged the Radeon 4770 back into the PCI express slot and the PC did not boot. I tried it in both PCI express x16 slots and no dice. So I pulled it out and put the 7600 GT back in, but the PC will not read a signal from the video card. I can hear everything turn on but nothing from the monitor.

Strange, really strange.

I am only using about half of the plugs on the powersupply so I cannot think this is a power supply issue. I had no problems with my PC booting before I swapped video cards.
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 3:50:31 PM

The power supply could be broken, which would make sense given the strange behavior.

Also could be a problem with the MB itself. Soemthing is clearly broken though, troubleshooting time to find what it is i suppose..

My psu broke on my a couple months after I got it, OCZ is very speedy with the RMA.
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 4:02:09 PM

The HD4770 is a very new card and a lot of Motherboards would need a Bios update to support it.
Im thinking that this could well be the issue with your set up.
Take a look on your Motherboard support page and see if there is a bios update specific to supporting the card.

It could be the PSU but it would need to be faulty to be giving these kinds of issues as it gives plenty of power for your rig assuming its working correctly.

Mactronix
July 7, 2009 4:42:46 PM

mactronix said:
The HD4770 is a very new card and a lot of Motherboards would need a Bios update to support it.
Im thinking that this could well be the issue with your set up.
Take a look on your Motherboard support page and see if there is a bios update specific to supporting the card.

It could be the PSU but it would need to be faulty to be giving these kinds of issues as it gives plenty of power for your rig assuming its working correctly.

Mactronix

That is a great idea. If I can get the SOB to boot up I will update the BIOS. There is a new BIOS version that came out in last June 09. The odd thing is that one time the PC booted up fine, once, with the 4770 card. I as able to update to the latest ATI Catalyst Driver. Everything was peachy and then stopped working.
July 7, 2009 8:15:52 PM

Here's the latest in this saga. I went back to my old 7600Gt and it wouldn't boot. Then out of nowhere it looks like it is going to boot but instead brings up this
Nvidia Boot Blocker error saying something about a bad BIOS on the video card. I took a picture of the screen. Click the Link to see. It looks like a bad bios.

July 8, 2009 3:30:12 PM

I cleared the CMOS and attempted to reflash the BIOS from a USB drive, but neither worked. I gave up and ordered a new Motherboard.

f'd up PC 1 Me 0.

November 29, 2009 1:50:42 PM

I just had a similar problem happen to me only it's even more strange. Here are the details.

I have a Dell 4600 which is a system with both onboard Video and an AGP Slot for add-on Video. For the past few months I have been using a nVidia GeForce 7600GT AGP Video Card (by XFX). It's been working fine. A few days ago I opened up my system to install a second hard drive. Suddenly I had the same problem described above: PC will not power up at all and all I get is a flashing Amber light on the Power LED.

At first I thought the power supply was being overloaded, but I have ruled that out:
First, I unplugged the second hard drive and still the same problem
Then I remembered that I had an extra power supply with much more power. I installed that PSU in the system and had exactly the same problem.
Finally, I discovered that the only thing that will make the system boots up is if I unplug the power from the Video card's cooling fan.

I discovered that if I unplug power from all the other devices/drives and just keep the Power to the Video card plugged in, the same problem remains, but as soon as I unplug the power from the Video card, the system boots. The strangest thing was that this works even if I keep the video card in the slot, as long as I don't give it power.

For now, I will have to use the onboard video until I figure out the issue.

My conclusions are that there are two possible problems:
1. The XFX GeForce 7600GT video card is bad and causing the power supply to short/overload
2. The AGP slot on my mainboard is bad.

Unfortunately I have no way to easily test this video card because this is the only system that has an AGP slot in it.

I hope this extra data helps and any ideas you all have would be welcome.

-Paz
November 29, 2009 4:45:16 PM

I returned my 4770 video card and got a 9800 GT. Everything works fine now. I also got a new motherboard and the video card still didn't boot so it was a bad 4770 video card. It's a shame because I really wanted that card.
!