Installation of new graphics card and now the sound is gone

kekn06ab

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I recently installed a new graphics card and almost everything was working. But then it automatically started the installation of some HD audio blabla, I can't remember the name now, but I followed the instructions... apparently not very clever of me. But now I can't get back the sound eventhough I removed the new audio driver, the computer just doesn't recognize my old speakers anymore. I have even connected another pair, but same problem.

Can you guys help me here? I would hate to completely restore my system... AGAIN!

Thanks

/kekn06ab

Be nice to know what card and brand when posting....Install an ATi card did we ? You can try going into the control panel and into "sound" and select what you want it to point to.....

OR

If it is an ATI card, go in and uninstall all ATI stuff and reboot. When you reboot don't let the machine install the software automatically. Open up your drivers ( downloaded drivers from manufacturers site) and select advanced when it prompts you. It will give you an option somewhere that wants to know if you want to install "sound drivers" or something similar..... say NO. Just install the graphics driver.

kekn06ab

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Yeah, ATI (more specifically Radeon HD 4670), but I've uninstalled all ATI drivers and "stuff" and put the old card back in.

If I get this right, then I should have just said no to the last question about the sound drivers. But how do I undo the damage... I did say yes :(

you have to go into the control panel and uninstall all the ATI stuff. And the ATI codecs too if they're there or don't unistall with the above.

Then, when the machine reboots, don't let windows find the driver, install the one you downloaded from ATI/AMD's site...... Do the advanced install and don't select to install the sound driver.

You can also go into the devise manager and delete or uninstall the ATI sound crap. START/right click MY COMPUTER/.... devise manager.

kekn06ab

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I will try that tomorrow and see if it helps, I can't see why it should, but it's definitely worth the try.

The device manager gives me this:

mto2e8.jpg

What would you say is the ATI stuff? Hard for me to see, heh! :bounce:

If you grab your scroll bar and drag it up, does it say anything inre to ATI/AMD ? And when you open it, what's there ?

Just uninstall from the control panel or from start/programs/ATI/AMD............ there should be something there to do an uninstall, no ?

kekn06ab

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
swifty_morgan@ I removed all the drivers, as I said, as well as the control panel, so it's only normal that it isn't there :whistle: I could easily install it again and see if it gives me the option to say no, this won't take long.

I probably will... it's just irritating you know. 1 mistake -> SYSTEM RESTORE!

jive

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Hi KEKn06ab,

The way I saw your problem is: when you intsall a new video card at the same time some codec or/and audio driver was install.
Like morgan said remove everything from the control panel. you've done that
Reboot you've done that too

Re-install your audio driver , from the dvd coming with your motherboard.
reboot
your problem should be solve.

kekn06ab

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Hmmm, thanks, but I'm yet again puzzled. I restored my system completely... back to normal! Then I installed the new graphics card and right away the sound was gone. So it didn't have anything to do with the new sound driver... I think.

I will see if I can find an audio driver, but I really have no idea where... you know. they try to make it as easy for you as possible so they don't include anything in the package when you buy the computer. Doesn't make sense. CPU-Z gives me this:

Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer INC.
Model: EMERY2, 2.00
Shipset: Intel i945P, Rev. A1
Southbridge: Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R)
LPCIO: SMSC

Looking like crazy... what good is a graphics card without any sound :/

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Maybe you posted this info and Im just glazing right over it, but this is a new ATI card right? All the new ATI cards have onboard sound solutions to transmit HD audio over the HDMI cable but if your not using the HDMI cable to transmit audio then it will not work. You just need to go into your Audio properties and disable the sound on the ATI card. In Win7(and I think Vista too) you just right click the speaker icon in the bottom right and choose playback devices. Then right click the ATI solution and disable. My computer is across the room from my entertainment center and I have 30+ft audio and video cables to hook them to the TV and receiver. This is how I change my audio output from my PC speakers to the digital output I use to connect my receiver.

kekn06ab

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
All praise the existence of expert forums where ignorant amateurs can ask their n00b questions. :pt1cable: Keep up the good work!

And just to make it crystal clear what the f*** I'm talking about:

http://www.eksperten.dk/spm/861608

A danish expert forum regarding my EXACT problem!!! Go into BIOS -> Onboard Audio -> From "Auto" to "Enabled".

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaw... So happy I have trouble keeping my feet on the ground. :love: :love: :love:

dthurney

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Had this same problem after installing an ATI Radeon graphic card. I did not want to use the new audio on the graphics card but Windows XP properties for the audio device and my old integrated SoundMax audio device indicated that the 'device is working properly' but when I looked deeper that 'drivers were not started'. Volume icon in the system tray was also missing.

Tried many other solutions posted elesewhere including reinstalling the 'PnP software enumerator' System Device and removing /fastdetect from c:\boot.ini - nothing worked until I found this solution:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Start in safe mode (Windows XP users hit F8 when booting and choose safe mode from the menu.)

2)Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager, uninstall all devices listed under Sound. Sound category disappears.
(In safe mode you are able to uninstall devices that cannot be uninstalled in regular mode.)

5) Reboot in normal mode. Windows reports detecting new hardware and installs proper drivers.

6) In Device Manager under Sound, the Microsoft WDM audio compatibility driver appears (it may be disabled.) If you don't see it choose 'view hidden devices' from the View menu.
Right click, to uninstall the Microsoft WDM audio compatibility driver

7) Reboot in normal mode.

8) Go to Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices and check the box
volume control icon appears in the task bar. Volume icon returns.

9) Go to the Audio tab and choose your default device from the dropdown. Sound returns ;) (Repeat this step for other users on your computer.)