Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono PC

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
What are PhysX cards really for? Do i need an intel system to be able to use this card? I am a heavy animator and 3d modeler, should I get one?
Cheers :hello: .

Solution
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

The PhysX card are all those nVidia series from 8800GT and above, but for your needs this GPU aren't what you need.

For your work, the best way to go are nVidia Quadro GPUs.
Some animation programs will use the PhysX SDK, so having an Nvidia card can definitely show benefits if you decide to use it. I'm sure you must have a GPU in your PC already, and if it's Nvidia you probably don't need to add or change anything. If you have ATI you can run a dedicated PhysX card if you want, in which case anything around 100 CUDA cores is just about perfect (GT 240, 9800GT, GT 440) and you'll also need the GenL V1.04ff patch (Google it).

That said, there's other ways to do physics stuff. Bullet does gpu accelleration AFAIK, and doesn't require a certain brand of card.

Jono PC

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

Hi, thanks for the reply. You are totally right, I never knew what quadro was 'til now. These here http://www.nvidia.com/object/builtforadobepros.html are designed for my animation program itself. Thanks heaps =)

Status
Not open for further replies.