Solved

Would intel's new 510 series run on a Sata 3Gbps interface?

I understand that the full read/write capabilities would not be utilized, but I just want to know if it would run.
I ask because my computer isn't old enough to the point where I want to replace my motherboard with one that has a 6Gbps interface.
That way, when I do upgrade the motherboard, I'll already have an SSD that can make use of the 6Gbps interface.
Also, would the 510 series SSD be damaged in any way from running on a 3Gbps interface for a while until I replace the motherboard?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about would intel series sata 3gbps interface
  1. Best answer
    Yes... it will run on a SATA II 3.0Gb/s port with out issues :D
  2. tecmo34 said:
    Yes... it will run on a SATA II 3.0Gb/s port with out issues :D

    Awesome. Thanks for the reply :)

    As far as my other question, is the possibility of the drive being damaged uncertain? I guess we wouldn't know until someone tests it out...
    What do you think?
  3. You have the same chance of the drive being damaged in a SATA III slot, as you would on the SATA II slot... It will make no difference to the SSD, outside of performance.
  4. You asked about Intel's 510 series ssd's which are SATA III (6 Gb/s) capable. Intel issued a press release today. The new ssd's should be released tomorrow. I know there will be at least 3 technical reviews published tomorrow or within a few days. The reviews should make for some interesting reading.
  5. Best answer selected by twbg4cq.
  6. tecmo34 said:
    You have the same chance of the drive being damaged in a SATA III slot, as you would on the SATA II slot... It will make no difference to the SSD, outside of performance.

    Cool. Thanks again :)

    Anonymous said:
    You asked about Intel's 510 series ssd's which are SATA III (6 Gb/s) capable. Intel issued a press release today. The new ssd's should be released tomorrow. I know there will be at least 3 technical reviews published tomorrow or within a few days. The reviews should make for some interesting reading.


    Yeah, I had been looking forward to that press release :wahoo:
    I'll keep a look out for those reviews for sure.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD SATA Intel Motherboards Storage