Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Would intel's new 510 series run on a Sata 3Gbps interface?

Last response: in Storage
February 28, 2011 9:46:04 PM

I understand that the full read/write capabilities would not be utilized, but I just want to know if it would run.
I ask because my computer isn't old enough to the point where I want to replace my motherboard with one that has a 6Gbps interface.
That way, when I do upgrade the motherboard, I'll already have an SSD that can make use of the 6Gbps interface.
Also, would the 510 series SSD be damaged in any way from running on a 3Gbps interface for a while until I replace the motherboard?

Best solution

a b å Intel
a c 235 V Motherboard
a c 143 G Storage
February 28, 2011 10:26:50 PM

Yes... it will run on a SATA II 3.0Gb/s port with out issues :D 
February 28, 2011 11:02:47 PM

tecmo34 said:
Yes... it will run on a SATA II 3.0Gb/s port with out issues :D 

Awesome. Thanks for the reply :) 

As far as my other question, is the possibility of the drive being damaged uncertain? I guess we wouldn't know until someone tests it out...
What do you think?
m
l
Related resources
a b å Intel
a c 235 V Motherboard
a c 143 G Storage
February 28, 2011 11:08:46 PM

You have the same chance of the drive being damaged in a SATA III slot, as you would on the SATA II slot... It will make no difference to the SSD, outside of performance.
m
l
a b å Intel
a b V Motherboard
a c 289 G Storage
February 28, 2011 11:14:11 PM

You asked about Intel's 510 series ssd's which are SATA III (6 Gb/s) capable. Intel issued a press release today. The new ssd's should be released tomorrow. I know there will be at least 3 technical reviews published tomorrow or within a few days. The reviews should make for some interesting reading.
m
l
February 28, 2011 11:21:10 PM

Best answer selected by twbg4cq.
m
l
February 28, 2011 11:29:11 PM

tecmo34 said:
You have the same chance of the drive being damaged in a SATA III slot, as you would on the SATA II slot... It will make no difference to the SSD, outside of performance.

Cool. Thanks again :) 

JohnnyLucky said:
You asked about Intel's 510 series ssd's which are SATA III (6 Gb/s) capable. Intel issued a press release today. The new ssd's should be released tomorrow. I know there will be at least 3 technical reviews published tomorrow or within a few days. The reviews should make for some interesting reading.

Yeah, I had been looking forward to that press release :wahoo: 
I'll keep a look out for those reviews for sure.
m
l
!