peterp11

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I am trying to decide whether to use the P6T Deluxe V2 or the P6x58D with:
i7-920
Corsair Dominator 6GB TR3X6G1600C7D
WD 1TB Black
Corsair 850TX supply

I am leaning toward the p6X58D because the sata 3 and usb 3 should be useful in the future, but I can't find ram compatability on the Asus site.

I would also like to SLI but need the PCI slots, does anyone have vid card rec's that take a single slot or have fans that sit farther back than the typical PCI card.

I want an M-Audio sound card (only available as PCI) but would also like a sound card with surround. Can I install two cards and use them both independently? I will use the PCI-e x1 slot for a tuner card.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Peter

Netherwind

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I don't see why the Corsair Dominator RAM wouldn't work, Corsair is always pretty good about RAM compatibility. You might just have to tweak it in BIOS to fix timings/speed issues. P6X58D is looking like a very nice board to get.

Asus usually has good built in sound, are you sure you need to add a sound card?

peterp11

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
The M-Audio card has good D/A converters I want to use for transferring vinyl. The P6X58D apparently isn't as good at onboard audio as the P6D. I realize I won't need a 2nd sound car if I use the hdmi out of the vid card for surround applications. I am still trying to figure out the best card to use in SLI without blocking PCI slots. The HIS 4870 with the ice cooler says it is only 4cm thick but it looks like it takes up two slots anyway. Anybody know the most powerful card I can get in a single slot with a PCI sound card right next to it?