Internal Battle - AMD / INTEL Gaming Setup?

Cyclohexane123

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Blah Blah Blah!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: PURCHASING AUG 14. 2009

BUDGET RANGE: $1500.00 USD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: GAMING, interweb browsing :)

PARTS REQUIRED: ALL

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: NEWEGG to the DOT COM

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD or Intel, I have heard that Intel is the best for multitasking, which I am not going to be doing, just gaming.

OVERCLOCKING: YES

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236053

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Quiet, Cool.

I'm torn with all that AMD/Intel/Nvidia/ITA fanboy rage mode going on everywhere. I hear that AMD is better for gaming, correct me if I am wrong. I was hooked on the i7 but then I realized that I am NEVER going to use 8 cores for anything. LAWL.

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
The i7 only has 4 cores, not 8. Any build above 1300$ should be an i7. There are a billion builds on here, and they're all identical aside from what brand of mobo (ASUS or Gigabyte) and what brand of memory.

Cyclohexane123

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008

Sure, I understand what you said, but you did not give me any reasoning behind your answer.

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009

Because that's the general consensus of everybody here? AMD offers better value in the 500-1100$ range. 1100-1300$ is just personal preference between high end AMD and low end i7, and 1300$+ should be strictly i7.

If you're trying to troll and start a "battle" you're in the wrong place.

Cyclohexane123

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008

You still did not give me any facts. I am in no way starting a battle, I could care less about fanboyism.

So if everybody was getting a new pokemon game then I should too? NO.

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009

I'm not going to rehash something that's been discussed ad nauseum. If you're REALLY interested in benchmarks...do a little research on the internet. If you're just going to game then an i7 is a waste and you're better off getting a Phenom II 720 or 940 and spending the extra on golf clubs.

Cyclohexane123

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008

WOW. ThAnKs. You finally told me something that I can use in my build. YOU'RE A PAL.

typeo

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008

The info he gave you was plenty to help ya out. Try not to be a @ss, and you might have a bit better luck with more responses from other people.

Alsee

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
Intel i7 is without a doubt the fastest processor line at the moment, but the cost is excessive. It is a poor bang-for-your-buck compared to the next best chips. Only go there if you've got money to burn.

If you want a top of the line gamer system then what you want is the next best processor - the AMD Phenom II X4 955. That chip gives tons of horsepower, and the price is pretty reasonable considering that it's a top line chip. Then you invest your extra "top-line gamer dollars" into a high end graphics card or two, depending on how high you want to go.

Below that, the rest of the recent CPUs all line up pretty smoothly with a steady bang-for-your-buck. No interesting sweet spots to grab, and no real worry of picking a dog. There is general agreement that AMD seems to have a slight edge over Intel at across all these price points. There are some nice low end dual core AMD chips that are quite capable for a low end game system or most any typical home use.

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
On your last post right below this thread is most the main things you need for a good i7 build, your liking on keyboard and mouse is your choice on price, you have almost $400 for a monitor/keyboard/mouse

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Also, Saying that the i7 is the poor bang for your buck compared to the next best chips and also saying the 955 gives tons of horse power.. is being a fan boy.

i7 - $280

x4 955 - $245

Only reason why the boards are pricey still is because they support both xfire and sli. Anyways, look at the old thread you posted earlier. theres a nice setup starter for you.