Sign in with
Your question

Internal Battle - AMD / INTEL Gaming Setup?

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2009 1:05:39 PM

Blah Blah Blah!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: PURCHASING AUG 14. 2009

BUDGET RANGE: $1500.00 USD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: GAMING, interweb browsing :) 

PARTS REQUIRED: ALL

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: NEWEGG to the DOT COM

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD or Intel, I have heard that Intel is the best for multitasking, which I am not going to be doing, just gaming.

OVERCLOCKING: YES

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Quiet, Cool.

I'm torn with all that AMD/Intel/Nvidia/ITA fanboy rage mode going on everywhere. I hear that AMD is better for gaming, correct me if I am wrong. I was hooked on the i7 but then I realized that I am NEVER going to use 8 cores for anything. LAWL.
June 15, 2009 1:09:46 PM

Oh, I was thinking quad core something.
June 15, 2009 2:38:32 PM

The i7 only has 4 cores, not 8. Any build above 1300$ should be an i7. There are a billion builds on here, and they're all identical aside from what brand of mobo (ASUS or Gigabyte) and what brand of memory.
Related resources
June 15, 2009 2:41:11 PM

drunknmunkys said:
The i7 only has 4 cores, not 8. Any build above 1300$ should be an i7. There are a billion builds on here, and they're all identical aside from what brand of mobo (ASUS or Gigabyte) and what brand of memory.

Sure, I understand what you said, but you did not give me any reasoning behind your answer.
June 15, 2009 2:46:06 PM

Cyclohexane123 said:
Sure, I understand what you said, but you did not give me any reasoning behind your answer.

Because that's the general consensus of everybody here? AMD offers better value in the 500-1100$ range. 1100-1300$ is just personal preference between high end AMD and low end i7, and 1300$+ should be strictly i7.

If you're trying to troll and start a "battle" you're in the wrong place.
June 15, 2009 2:47:30 PM

drunknmunkys said:
Because that's the general consensus of everybody here? AMD offers better value in the 500-1100$ range. 1100-1300$ is just personal preference between high end AMD and low end i7, and 1300$+ should be strictly i7.

If you're trying to troll and start a "battle" you're in the wrong place.

You still did not give me any facts. I am in no way starting a battle, I could care less about fanboyism.

So if everybody was getting a new pokemon game then I should too? NO.
June 15, 2009 2:50:40 PM

Cyclohexane123 said:
You still did not give me any facts. I am in no way starting a battle, I could care less about fanboyism.

So if everybody was getting a new pokemon game then I should too? NO.

I'm not going to rehash something that's been discussed ad nauseum. If you're REALLY interested in benchmarks...do a little research on the internet. If you're just going to game then an i7 is a waste and you're better off getting a Phenom II 720 or 940 and spending the extra on golf clubs.
June 15, 2009 2:51:41 PM

drunknmunkys said:
I'm not going to rehash something that's been discussed ad nauseum. If you're REALLY interested in benchmarks...do a little research on the internet. If you're just going to game then an i7 is a waste and you're better off getting a Phenom II 720 or 940 and spending the extra on golf clubs.

WOW. ThAnKs. You finally told me something that I can use in my build. YOU'RE A PAL.
June 15, 2009 4:12:59 PM

Cyclohexane123 said:
WOW. ThAnKs. You finally told me something that I can use in my build. YOU'RE A PAL.

The info he gave you was plenty to help ya out. Try not to be a @ss, and you might have a bit better luck with more responses from other people.
June 15, 2009 5:31:00 PM

Intel i7 is without a doubt the fastest processor line at the moment, but the cost is excessive. It is a poor bang-for-your-buck compared to the next best chips. Only go there if you've got money to burn.

If you want a top of the line gamer system then what you want is the next best processor - the AMD Phenom II X4 955. That chip gives tons of horsepower, and the price is pretty reasonable considering that it's a top line chip. Then you invest your extra "top-line gamer dollars" into a high end graphics card or two, depending on how high you want to go.

Below that, the rest of the recent CPUs all line up pretty smoothly with a steady bang-for-your-buck. No interesting sweet spots to grab, and no real worry of picking a dog. There is general agreement that AMD seems to have a slight edge over Intel at across all these price points. There are some nice low end dual core AMD chips that are quite capable for a low end game system or most any typical home use.
June 15, 2009 5:48:28 PM

On your last post right below this thread is most the main things you need for a good i7 build, your liking on keyboard and mouse is your choice on price, you have almost $400 for a monitor/keyboard/mouse
June 15, 2009 5:53:17 PM

Also, Saying that the i7 is the poor bang for your buck compared to the next best chips and also saying the 955 gives tons of horse power.. is being a fan boy.

i7 - $280

x4 955 - $245

Only reason why the boards are pricey still is because they support both xfire and sli. Anyways, look at the old thread you posted earlier. theres a nice setup starter for you.

!