[NEW HTPC SYSTEM BUILD] need some help with internal parts

upstatesledder

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Well, I ordered all my parts for my first ever build, looks like this...

Case -- Thermaltake DH101

Motherboard -- GIGABYTE 9400 HDMI Micro ATX Intel

CPU -- Intel Pentium E5200

Memory -- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) Probably could have gone W/ 2GB

Power Supply -- ENERMAX 425W ATX12V

TV Turner -- Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner

CPU Cooler -- Scythe Ninja Mini

Sound Card -- HT | OMEGA CLARO Plus+

Burner -- LG Black Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner

Hard Drive -- Western Digital Caviar Green 1.0TB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1.0TB for storage purposes, Western Digital Caviar Black 500MB for OS, and other programs/storage.

OS -- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit or #7 --Still up in the air--

Wireless -- D-Link DIR-625 and Rosewill RNX-EasyN1

Keyboard -- ADESSO WKB-4100UB Black USB 2.4 GHz RF Wireless SlimTouch Ergo Touchpad Keyboard & just bought a Harmony One

This is my first build and I am mechanically inclined, just not to knowledgeable when it comes to this. I've printed out the instructions on how to put everything together, and I don't think I am going to have much of a problem. My question is, do I need any other parts to hook everything up, ie wires/cables.etc.???, or does everything I need come with all this stuff. If there are parts that I need please explain, so I can get a better grasp on it. Thanks

That looks like an excellent HTPC build. Your list looks complete (assuming you have a TV to hook it up to).

You might need some SATA cables since your motherboard comes with two and it looks like you'll need four total. If you bought the BD drive retail then it will come with a cable though.

How are you planning on hooking everything up? HDMI, DVI? Optical sound? You may need cables for all of that too.

upstatesledder

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Externally I am all set;) From sound card, to my new Emotiva amp, then out to my speakers. HDMI to the Plasma.

SATA cables for all three drives and the burner, right? Bought everything from New Egg, so i guess I'm just lacking one SATA cable....??

If the hard drives are OEM, they won't have cables. You can pick up SATA cables from any box store.

You may also want to add some software to your list. If you plan on ripping blu-rays, slysofts AnyDVD is a must have. You also may need blu-ray software depending on what comes with your LG drive. Some blu-ray drives come with a version of PowerDVD that cripples the sound to 2-channel stereo only.