Need directions

Scout65

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I am about to build and want to add an SSD. I have been all over the internet and cant find any really,really,really simple directions. they all assume that the reader had some previous knowledge of how this works. I dont go into BIOS unless I get a new computer and the installation says to. I dont ever touch the registry because the one time I did, Well, It was bad. Then , on this one site, they said to invert the CMOS battery to short the terminals. Even if I knew where or what a CMOS battery was, I dont think "shorting it out" sounds like a good idea. All I want are easy step by step instructions, without terminology that only programmers understand. I can do it with good instructions. Any ideas?

http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html is an excellent guide to the care and feeding of SSDs, by our own Tecmo34.

A few primitive tips:
1) Install the OS on it. Do a new install, don't copy an existing one.
2) Use Windows 7. None of the earlier versions of Windows support the required disk command named "TRIM."
3) Go into BIOS before starting your installation (sorry). You really want the disk controller in "AHCI" mode.

Perhaps you should look at Tecmo34's guide to building a PC? http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

(honest, I don't get a kickback from him. He's just been kind enough to put some good stuff together.)

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Really you can treat an ssd the same as an hdd and it will act like one (except quickly and quietly).

However, as wyoming said you really should disconnect all other drives (except your dvd), plug in the ssd, and install win7 onto it.

After that... give'r

If you have an intel based mobo it is really nice to use their Intel RST driver rather than the standard microsoft windows driver but... you don't seem to want to get into it much.

The bios thing is like nothing. Go in. Find your HDDs and it will probably give you three choices. RAID, AHCI, IDE. It makes a big difference if your ssds are in AHCI mode. And it shouldn't make any difference to anything else (unless you have a RAID array set up but I'm sure you don't).

No problem.

Enjoy your ssd.

tecmo34

Administrator

@Scout65... Dont' listen to him!! I have to pay him $20 for each time he post one of my links. I had to take out a second mortgage on my house :(

Just joking around!! [:mousemonkey:5]

@WyomingKnott... Thanks for the feedback!!