Am2+ or Am3 for gaming?

hi all

im about to build a new gaming rig and i had a question:

whats better,

- Phenom II X4 940 with a Am2+ mobo with DDR2 memory

OR

- Phenom II X4 810 with a Am3 mobo with DDR3 memory

?? thx!
21 answers Last reply
More about gaming
  1. The 940 will be faster but the am3 will be more future compatible.
  2. nachota1987 said:
    hi all

    - Phenom II X4 940 with a Am2+ mobo with DDR2 memory
    OR
    - Phenom II X4 810 with a Am3 mobo with DDR3 memory

    ?? thx!


    I'm buliding a AM3 System for my next gaming rig
    Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130224
    CPU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680
    OR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674
    RAM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231189
    PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
    Video Card, a 4850 or a 4870
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161244
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150352
    Hard Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136075

    from this list I have the Motherboard,Ram,and the 550 CPU so far.

    not including the OS,dvd drive,and PC case, that I already have.
  3. also my brother has a am2+ mobo, with a athlon x2 3.2GHz cpu, with a ATi 4870 video card, and it can run most games on highest graphic settings.
  4. anymore thoughts?
  5. nachota1987 said:
    anymore thoughts?


    The GPU is more important than the CPU for a budget gaming rig. If you're on a tight budget you're better off skimping a little more on the CPU to get more GPU power. It's hard to say without having a budget to play with.
  6. You can build a nice AM2+ system for cheaper of course. I built a system around the X4 940 and DDR2 RAM at the end of January right before the AM3 socket hardware was released. The AM2+ system will run sufficiently for years to come. If it saves you enough money, then I'd go that route. The only thing that might be of concern years down the road is if AM2+ CPU's and DDR2 RAM weren't available for purchase anymore if you have a component fry on you. But by then, you could just upgrade for cheaper anyhow.

    I'd go AM2+ if the money saved is enough to you. Then again, I'm a cheap son of a bitch lol...
  7. thats what i needed to hear..i was thinking the same, just wanted to hear different opinions of people that know or had experiences

    im on a tight budget, so i think ill go for the am2+
  8. arson94 said:
    You can build a nice AM2+ system for cheaper of course. I built a system around the X4 940 and DDR2 RAM at the end of January right before the AM3 socket hardware was released. The AM2+ system will run sufficiently for years to come. If it saves you enough money, then I'd go that route. The only thing that might be of concern years down the road is if AM2+ CPU's and DDR2 RAM weren't available for purchase anymore if you have a component fry on you. But by then, you could just upgrade for cheaper anyhow.

    I'd go AM2+ if the money saved is enough to you. Then again, I'm a cheap son of a bitch lol...


    AM2+ 940 is 189$
    AM3 720 is 139$

    And in most applications 3 cores vs. 4 cores won't make a difference but we don't have enough information from the OP to know which is better. You can save money by going AM3.
  9. what about the DDR3 mem? how much does it change in general? and in terms of gaming?
  10. nachota1987 said:
    what about the DDR3 mem? how much does it change in general? and in terms of gaming?


    DDR2 is being phased out for DDR3, but right now the gaming performance differential is negligible.

    What is your budget?
  11. AM2+ 940 @ 3Ghz is $189
    AM3 945 @ 3Ghz is $225

    That's what I'm talking about. You can save money on a pet by buying a chicken instead of a cow and some people may not care or even be able to tell the difference in special cases lol... But it's still not a comparsion. Of course you can save money on an AM3 if you go with one less core. But you're right, we don't know the exact intentions of the OP. I'm just saying with comparable parts you can save money with AM2+ and DDR2. DDR3 is alot cheaper now that it used to be as well. That's why I told the OP if it was worth the money saved to him, then I'd just go AM2+. If the money saved is only like $50, then probably be better to just go AM3 and DDR3 instead. But I haven't checked the prices of AM3 CPUS, AM3 motherboards, and DDR3 RAM.
  12. I just went to AM3, and the biggest draw for me with the AM3 platform is knowing that for the next few CPU releases (I assume) AMD will focus on socket AM3, making it very easy to upgrade.

    if you go AM2+ but CAN go with AM3 just go with AM3 and avoid an upgrade ud have to do in 3-6 months
  13. Yea that's what I mentioned in my frist post. that would be the only concern for me. But I don't think he would NEED to do any upgrades for a few years... I know I'm not planning on it unless something burns out on me. He would only NEED to upgrade if that would happen. As far as performance is concerned, he'll be good to go unless something broke. Then the only thing he'd have to worry about upgrading are the CPU, board, and RAM if he can't find the parts readily via retail by that point. I take chances like that though and I don't think it would cost too much to do the upgrade later.
  14. my budget is around 1000 bucks..BUT im not from the us, so im getting some parts from spain (gpu, cpu, mobo) and the rest from my local store

    ive settled for the 4870 and i know all the rest of the parts but the cpu, mobo and memory

    i had in mind getting a p2 940 and a gigabyte am2+ mobo with 4gb of ddr2 memory at 800mhz

    but the other day i saw that the store on spain (appinformatica.com) also had the p2 810 and 905 that were a litle cheaper than the 940 and could go with a similar priced mobo and ddr3 memory

    SO, i wanted to know what would be better for gaming, a 3.0 ghz cpu with ddr2 memory or a 2.6 ghz cpu with ddr3 memory..
  15. nachota1987 said:
    my budget is around 1000 bucks..BUT im not from the us, so im getting some parts from spain (gpu, cpu, mobo) and the rest from my local store

    ive settled for the 4870 and i know all the rest of the parts but the cpu, mobo and memory

    i had in mind getting a p2 940 and a gigabyte am2+ mobo with 4gb of ddr2 memory at 800mhz

    but the other day i saw that the store on spain (appinformatica.com) also had the p2 810 and 905 that were a litle cheaper than the 940 and could go with a similar priced mobo and ddr3 memory

    SO, i wanted to know what would be better for gaming, a 3.0 ghz cpu with ddr2 memory or a 2.6 ghz cpu with ddr3 memory..


    3.0Ghz CPU by a mile
  16. I agree, the 3Ghz with DDR2 would be better.
  17. THX A LOT! XD
  18. Welcome :D I'm glad we could help.
  19. Well, the good thing is that DDR3 prices have come down alot. I would suggest you think about going with AM3 as the next gen of AMD CPUs (bulldozer) won't have an integrated DDR2 controller and thus won't work in AM2+ boards. Of course if your board maker doesn't make an effort to update your board BIOS to support newer CPUs *cough* XFX *cough* then that isn't much of a selling point I suppose. Anyway instead of a 940 you could get a 720BE or 810 and overclock it.

    Still, sticking with AM2+ isn't too bad. It's going to be a while before we see Bulldozer anyway :D.
  20. and if you go AM3\DDR3, the new AMD 550 X2 cpu that supports it only cost $109.00 in U.S. dollars, not sure how much that is where you live.

    and if you haven't, read the customer reviews and see what they are saying about this cpu. I got one for my next upgrade.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680
  21. I'd go AM3 X4 @2.6Ghz and OC it to 3.0-3.2 Ghz with a good aftermarket cooler.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Build Phenom Systems Product