Just one second please

newboy90

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Hi all and I will be short as much as I can : so, after the new processors (socket1156) that has arrived, I read an article that not just i5 and i7 860 has just 1333mhz speed of the memory Ram, I heard that even the precedent i7 920 is functionaly at maximum 1333mhz and not even 1600 or better... Thats my problem that I went here to ask for really good answers from experts and to find out some solutions if just with overclock is posible to go higher than 1333mhz... besides, the new mobos are capable over 2000mhz of the slot DIMMs... Thanks and is very important.

You dont have to make it short as possible. this isn't twitter!

i do find this hard to understand but i think may know what he/she trying to ask.

if your implying that your wanting to put faster ddr3 ram than 1333mhz then yes you can put 1600 MHz ram in. (there is 1600 MHz ram sticks out there)

You are also able to overclock the ram to 1800 MHz and 2000 MHz. (No there is no ram that at stock speeds of 1800 MHz and 2000 MHz.)

Although to fully use the speeds of the ram beyond 1333MHz you have to overclock the cpu/dimms (im not an overclocker so im forgeting what you need to do to have faster ram) to handle that much speed. If you dont then the cpu will underclock the ram to what it can handle.

Hope this is what your meaning. If not then repost what you truly trying to ask.

As stated above THIS ISN'T TWITTER! So type more info out.

newboy90

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Ok . ah sorry boys... I understand, so I can make further with the speed of the Ram good :) Thanks.
I just wanted to know if the processor supports more than 1333mhz thats all . but I know now that it can be posible, even if we speak of the 920.

Are you agreed that in todays life 4 giga of ram is not enough ? 6 GB is the future, and thats why 920 has more reputation even he has 2.66ghz and not 2.80 like the 860, cuz that has just dual channel kit memmory and that means 4 GB...ok I know that 8 gb is posible too, (4x2) but that is many money. Or do you belive that the new sockets don't need so much of the space of the memory ? for example : the windows fills 1 gb (ram usage) , a good game another GB, and in one year two max a game will fill 2 or 3 giga and that is maximum usage for the DIMMs and it will require more space. Thats what I want to say :) sorry for the english. But it is a posible for this solution, the Gigabyte P55 UD6, that has 6 slots but works with dual channel, but with the bios you can resolve to work with tri channel and that means 3x2 ?

ulysses35

Distinguished
4gb is fine for for Vista 64 and Windows 7. However the more memory you have the better your pc will perform - up to a point that is.

I7 (LGA1366) has a triple channel memory controller so your RAM will be in 3 x 1 or 2 GB modules - hence 6gb of Ram.

I5 / I7 (LGA1156) is only dual channel so you need 2 x 1 / 2 GB modules for the best performance.

As far as I am aware no I5 mobo can work with triple channel memory - some boards include 6 x slots but they still only run two channels - not three, as the memory controller is built into the CPU

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
I had 6GB RAM(2x2GB+2x1GB) and I was feeling that was not enough so I sold 2x1GB sticks an looking to buy another 2x2GB for total of 8GB. Games like GTA IV can use over 3.5GB on their own. Windows alone on start takes 1.8GB for me and that is with all the unneeded startup items and services disabled, also superfetch and prefetch disabled. And I was running near 100% when unraring large archives or antivirus scanning large files.

newboy90

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009

Yeah, thats what I mean it, the space usage of the memory's...so even that now 4 GB is ok, in one year it will struggle and will need 6 gb and that means i920 :) But there is a fact that I read it somewhere, that the new motherboards don't use so much of the space from the memory, so that means that 4 GB will be stable for much time.

Ok so I understand that even I will buy a 1600mhz Ram, the CPU will underclock to 1333mhz...and if I will to have over 1600, than is OC manual going.
Thanks guys ! All of you