Sign in with
Your question

Recently Built System won't boot

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2009 4:42:01 PM

Hi, I've recently built my own system, find the specs below...

Antec 900-2 Nine Hundred Two Ultimate Gaming Case

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz

1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 SATA2 7200RPM 32MB cache

Asus P5Q PRO iP45 Socket 775 Motherboard

Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 SLi Compliant Power Supply

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express)

I've been running this system for 3 months now, no problems whatsoever, last night I shut it down like normal... I just got in from work, and press the power button, nothing happens... which is strange, I tried turning the psu off/on again at the back of the psu, nothing. I then unplugged the whole thing off at the wall socket, press the power button, it starts to boot, the blue leds come on but the fans make a loud whirring sound and it only lasts for about 2-3 seconds, then shuts down.

Any ideas? All the parts are brand new, well 3 months...
June 15, 2009 5:01:06 PM

The first thing I would do if it was me is test the power supply. If you have a PSU tester. if not, maybe try to replace it if you have another one sitting around.

When something like this happens, you just have to start somewhere and start crossing things out. But first I would probably rule out the PSU (because its the most obvious) and then go from there.
Related resources
June 15, 2009 6:00:55 PM

I would imagine something has just died inside, as I really don't see how it would go from fine to not even booting in the space of 12 hours with it being something trivial like a wiring issue etc, something would have had to physically break inside.

Probably a stupid question, but we had a bad lightning storm today, could there have been a strike or something?

Either way I'm gonna have to take it all apart and check everything individually, why can computers never just work how they're supposed to.. these parts are pretty top notch and only 3 months old, if that.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 15, 2009 6:31:05 PM

Yes, lightning can cause major problems. The power surge from a nearby strike could damage any number of components. The checklist should help you narrow down the list of possible fried hardware.
June 15, 2009 6:35:50 PM

Ya, lightning is very bad when it comes to computers or any electronics. Did you not have your computer plugged in though a good surge protector?
June 15, 2009 6:38:13 PM

Yeah I've got a surge protector, so it shouldn't have really been that. Just wondered as my modem isn't working properly either now.. great day I've had, messed up pc and no internet lol
a b B Homebuilt system
June 15, 2009 6:41:55 PM

It's very possible that the power surge came from the internet connection and fried your modem and motherboard through the onboard NIC card.
June 15, 2009 6:57:52 PM

^ This

I never really thought of that....D@mn them thunderstorms! :??: 
June 15, 2009 7:02:48 PM

It is really strange, my modem seems ok.. the lights come on, all but the 'activity' one.. it's all connected etc, I even reset it.. but i can't sign on to xbox live for example.. If the modem was fried tho, would it work at all?
a b B Homebuilt system
June 15, 2009 7:24:15 PM

I'm still leaning toward the modem being bad. I wouldn't put much faith in the lights. You'll probably get better information in the Networking forum for troubleshooting internet connectivity issues.
June 16, 2009 6:19:42 PM

I just went on the Corsair website, they suggested testing it with a paper clip.. this actually worked lol, but, the fan spins, but it makes a clicking noise. The next question in the faq, says if this happens there is something blocking the fan or it's generally messed up. Obviously there is nothing blocking it, so it must be the latter. Hopefully this will be the only thing I need to send back and get replaced.
!