Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SSD no longer recognized: Kingston SSD now v100

Last response: in Storage
March 1, 2011 4:32:51 AM

Hello, I have been using my SSD drive as my primary hard drive for about two months now. However one day I tried to use my computer and it no longer booted. So i tried changing around the sata cables and found it to be a problem with the SSD as my secondary hard drive works fine with both sata connections. Bios no longer recognizes the SSD drive and it is not recognized by disk partition either. So i reinstalled windows unto my secondary hard drive to try and see if I can make windows recognize it.

With windows installed, I found out that it would not read the drive whilst connected to sata cables. I did manage to at least get it recognized one way. I changed the hard drives on my external hard disk enclosure and got my computer to recognize my SSD drive through the USB connection. It seems that it will show up on "my computer" but when I try to view the contents, it will not load. I tried copying the drive and paste but my computer just stays busy until I turn off the external. In addition, the SSD is recognized by disk partition through this method. I tried to make it an "active partition" but once again it goes busy until I turn my external off.

I really need to get inside this drive and recover a few files which is the reason why I did not try to format it (if I am even able). I have already contacted Kingston and am still waiting on an answer from them (which will probably be to turn it in). If there are any other suggestions, please let me know. Thank you for reading.
March 2, 2011 12:55:20 AM

update:

I tried using various "data recovery" software but none of them will get past the "scanning drives" dialogue.

Also, unsurprisingly, Kingston wants me to turn in the defective product.

Score
Related resources
March 2, 2011 4:00:34 AM

I just tried testdisk and it was the same as the other data recovery programs. It would not detect my SSD whether it was connected as an external drive or connected via sata.

Weird thing is, testdisk couldnt scan the SSD when it was connected as an external through USB cables. however, windows would be able to detect the SSD but I cant access it.
Score
March 14, 2011 12:46:53 PM

xhobbesx said:
update:

I tried using various "data recovery" software but none of them will get past the "scanning drives" dialogue.

Also, unsurprisingly, Kingston wants me to turn in the defective product.

Score
a b G Storage
March 14, 2011 3:11:02 PM

Hi.

Can you see the SSD in the disk manager?, What file format can you see there?
Score
March 23, 2011 1:57:23 AM

I had the same exact problem with my Kingston SSD drive this morning. I called them and they told me the same thing, send them my old drive and they will send me a new one. I am not sure I want to use there product..if it is not reliable.

Did you have any luck getting files off of your SSD drive? I sure would like to get some files off of mine.
Score
March 24, 2011 12:48:44 PM

I have had 2 of 15 of these drives fail after only being in service for 3 months. One was installed in a desktop and the other in a laptop. I had the Kingston SSD v series drives in service for about a year with no problems. The V100 series seem to have reliability problems. I tried all of the tricks I use on mechanical drives but could not retrieve the user's data.
Score
March 29, 2011 4:14:50 PM

Hi, I work for Kingston Technology Europe and I have just come across your comments. A small percentage of our SSDNow V100 have experienced a technical issue on the firmware. We recommend that a firmware update be applied to prevent possible data loss.

We recommend that you back up your data prior to applying the firmware revision. The firmware update can be found here: www.kingston.com/support/ssdnow/v100_firmware.asp
Score
June 11, 2011 7:31:34 PM

I had similar problems with one of those dodgy Kingston ssdNow Drives

Installed a 128GB Kingston SSD now v100 series in my Asus 1018P netbook. Worked a treat until one time I powered off and on restart bios hung detecting pri master drive.

I put the kinsgston ssdNow drive in another PC (connected via internal sata) and windows doesn't recognise it as a drive.

I put it in a USB drive enclosure and windows recognises the drive as a Kingston SNA-DC/U Device - but not a disk drive(?).

I tried updating the firmware as per your instructions (bios set to use IDE not raid etc) but the drive is not detected.

Any ideas?
Score
July 31, 2011 7:36:45 AM

pmlmedia said:
I had similar problems with one of those dodgy Kingston ssdNow Drives

Installed a 128GB Kingston SSD now v100 series in my Asus 1018P netbook. Worked a treat until one time I powered off and on restart bios hung detecting pri master drive.

I put the kinsgston ssdNow drive in another PC (connected via internal sata) and windows doesn't recognise it as a drive.

I put it in a USB drive enclosure and windows recognises the drive as a Kingston SNA-DC/U Device - but not a disk drive(?).

I tried updating the firmware as per your instructions (bios set to use IDE not raid etc) but the drive is not detected.

Any ideas?

I have had this problem too. My solution was as follows (using W7 pro 64 bit):

Boot in IDE mode with your normal HDD

Put the SSD drive in a SATA to USB device and plug in.

Go to Control Panel then Compter Managemet etc until you get to Drive Management. You should see all drives.

Click on the SSD and delete all partitions. Then create a new partition (simple volume) and format etc.

After all of that; shut down the computer and put SSD drive in (Change to AHCI in the BIOS) run W7 Installation disk, follow instructions and all should be well.

Good luck
Score
a b G Storage
August 1, 2011 2:17:31 PM

This topic has been closed by Saint19
Score
!