What happened??

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I've started using this EVGA precision software to increase fan settings on my old computers gpu (8800 GTS 640) for cooling purposes. I noticed the increase shader clock and mem clock options and decidedto put them at max for a little just for fun. When i did this, the screen went black and i had to restart to get everything back to normal.

What happened?

prelude2250

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
R U KIDDING!? ur lucky ur graphics card still works. U cant just slide the core clock to max. I wouldn't even touch pricision until you learn what it does. the reason ur card went black is because you were about to destroy it by running the core and memory frequencies way too high and it was smart enough to shut down.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

Holy crap are you serious? Well good thing i got lucky cause i know my fair share about hardware, but when it comes to overclocking and BIOS and all that fun im completely clueless.

When ocing, start with either memory or core, or in nVidias case, also shader clocks. Find the max by ocing each 1 seperately, then backing off some. In the end, averaging all three close to their max is where you should end up. Dont ever max the software out, itll almost always max out the hardware way before you find out what clocks are really max for each

OK, you made a rookie mistake and that's fine.

But what interests me is what you said afterwards, ie, ". . . cause i know my fair share about hardware . . .".

Hopefully you will re-evaluate. Sometimes the most difficult thing is to know what you don't know.

prelude2250

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
yeah i would only notch it up about 10-20mhz at a time. What i do is run a 3d benchmark like 3dmark vantage or even the last remnant benchmark u can download from 3dguru for free and i just sit and watch for artifacts which are discolored squares or lines if you see these close the benchmark and back up your oc a little bit. it takes trial and error. I have my SLI GTX260's set @ 715mhz core & 1177mhz ram and the slider on precision or riva tuner are just barely past the halfway point. I bet ur graphics card was badass for a nanosecond before it shut off. LOL In this day and age I dont see why anyone wouldn't notch the clocks up a little on their gpu's, just be careful.

masteryoda34

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I've never seen any damage to a video card from overclocking too high via software (e.g. rivatuner, evga precision) The only way you can get real damage is by hard mods, voltage bumps, or BIOS flashing. Today's GPU's and CPU's are smart enough to shut off when they are clocked too high or overheat. Quit getting so worried.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Well i'm starting to get a small drift on OC understanding. The system i started to build has a gtx 295. How much would OC'ing increase the temp?