kst4r

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Hey guys,

As the topic of this thread states, I'm having more problems with my PC since my last thread. After discovering that I had a dead stick of RAM, I recently just received the replacement. This is the second day with the new RAM, and some previous BSOD's are reoccurring again. Something that I do that always causes a BSOD (eventually, make take a few attempts) is constantly minimizing, then restoring warcraft 3. After a few times of minimizing and reopening it, I ALWAYS receive a BSOD. Some of the BSODs that I am receiving now are:
page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
0x0000008e
0x0000007e
0x00000050
win32k.sys
watchdog.sys
attempt to write to read only memory
Can anyone help? I didn't think this would continue occurring after I replaced my bad memory, but apparently there is another problem as well.
Thanks!

By the way, my specs are as follows:
Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
4 GB G.Skill RAM
ATI HD Radeon 4850
500GB Western Digital HD
Corsair 850TX

kst4r

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
It's 2x2. I'll run memtest tonight, but do you really thing that I would get 2 packs of consecutively bad sets of RAM?
The odds aren't much. I feel like its another part.
the settings for my RAM are as follows:

Speed DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Cas Latency 5
Timing 5-5-5-15
Voltage 2.0V - 2.1V

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Link to a very useful website, all about windows stop errors. http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

0x0000008e

"0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade). "

0x0000007e
"0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information."

0x00000050
"0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card). Use the General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist above."

There's also some additional links under each of these stop errors on the site I linked, perhaps they could shed some light. Though the issue seems to be with the RAM, either faulty or a compatibility issue.

kst4r

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
GhislainG,

Those are the default settings. I didn't overclock them.

New symptoms by the way:
I ran memtest86+. When both sticks were in, I got 85 errors. But, odd thing is when I took one stick out and ran them both one at a time, there were no errors.
So, I then took both sticks and ran them one by one again, this time starting up my PC and trying the warcraft 3 method that always provides a BSOD for me. The first stick got a BSOD when windows was loading up (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) and also when I started up warcraft 3, before I even started minimizing it (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL again). The second stick got a BSOD after minimizing warcraft 3 a lot, like 10-15 times before it gave me a BSOD (BHDrvx86.sys).

BAD RAM AGAIN?!!?!

kst4r

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Well, so far so good I think.
I've only had one BSOD since the changes have been made to the timings and it was:
0x000000A

I'll repost any other happenings back on here after I keep using these settings for a few days. Gonna test it out with more graphics-demanding games (ex. Fallout 3, Crysis ...), another test I used to run that always gave me BSOD's as well. We'll see how that works out.