GA-MA790FXT-UD5Pdoes not POST

crios911

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Motherboard - GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
CPU - AMD Phenon II X4 965 BE 125w (New version)
Memory - Patriot G Series Sector 5 DDR3 1600 1.65v 9-9-9-24
Video Card - XFX 7900gt (nvidia) (Crossfire not purchased yet)

Power Supply - Antec Truepower Quattro TPQ-1000
Case - Antec Full Tower Twelve Hundred (No pc speaker)

Harddrive - Western Digital 200 gig sata
DVD Burner - Samsung

Upon applying power to the system fans spin up, hard drive spins up but no video/post. Gigabytes solution was to connect the ATX and CPU power leads as if I would not have done so already. Yes, video lead is also connected. I have been told it is either a cpu (bios) or memory issue by different people but thought I would post to the forum before trying to find someone who will loan me a cpu or memory for testing purposes.

The memory would not have been my first choice but a friend gave me the memory and as I am dissabled spending another 100 on memory would have hurt a tad as I am dissabled and on a fixed income. Newegg at the time of purchase did not have any memory in that was on gigabytes approved list. I opted to purchase a pair of ATI HD 5770 to run in CrossfireX mode but was holding off until the pricing stableized a bit.

If anyone would have already run into this situation with similar memory and same cpu please respond if you got it worked out.

Thanks,

Kevin

Try removing the power cord on the ps, the motherboard battery, and unplug and reinstall the 24 and 4 (or 8pin)connectors from the power supply, and reinstall them all after a couple of minutes. I haven't used gigabyte's rma process; got a hold of someone using their phone number once for an inquiry, but got no answer on a new board. Keep trying. If this is a new build, do all the above on a non conductive surface such as a phonebook.

bilbat

Splendid
Mind you, there are two ways to do this: you can do it either in or out of the case. The advantages and drawbacks:in the case is easier and faster, but will not find case-related problems, like shorts from extra, mispositioned standoffs, or ground plane problems; out of the case takes longer, and you may run into 'reach' problems - power supply cables and front panel power switch headers may not be long enough; for the power supply, it's usually just a matter of removing four screws to temorarily relocate it; for the power switch, you can just do this (carefully):
power2.jpg

You only need to short the pins momentarily - that's all the power switch does...Out of the case also affords you an easy opportunity to 'flip' the board to check your heatsink/fan attachment setup, to be sure all the pins are fully seated, locked, and not cracked... If you do the out of the case, you need to lay the board on a non-conductive surface: the box the MOBO came in is ideal; but - the foam pad it came with, and the bag it was in are not - being 'antistat', they are somewhat conductive, and may induce problems...

Another item worth mention at this point is case speakers: if you haven't got one - get one!
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html
A lot of people operate under the misaprehension that the 'diagnostic beeps' should come through the speakers attached to their sound-card/chip - not so! Your three hundred dollar Altec-Lansings won't do you any good here - you have to have a case speaker attached to the front panel header, and, often by this point, it's the only diagnostic info you'll have to go on...

The standard 'strip-down':

Power down at PSU switch
remove everything except
CPU and heatsink/fan (check carefully that the fan retaining pins are fully inserted, completely locked, and not cracked)
one stick of RAM, in slot closest to CPU
video card and monitor connector (if more than one PCIe slot, again, in slot closest to CPU)
all power plugs - 20+4 or 24, 2x2 or 2x4 ATX power, graphics card power
case speaker and power switch connectors
keyboard (don't need a mouse at this point)
place jumper on RST_CMOS pins
remove jumper from RST_CMOS pins
power up at PSU switch
power up by depressing case power switch (or shorting the 'power' pins...)
If you get video, enter BIOS with <DEL> (may need a <TAB> to get to POST screen, if 'splash' screen is enabled)
Select and execute "Load Optimized Defaults" - save and exit, reboot
power down
reinsert other components, one at a time, testing each time after addition...