Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming i7 System

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2009 6:49:01 PM

After reading some posts and comparing parts based on prices vs productivity i have come up with following setup:

Asus P6T, X58, Socket-1366 DDR3, ATX, SLI&CrossFireX, Firewire, GbLAN, 3xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16
Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920 4,8GT/sec, 8MB, Boxed
Asus GeForce GTX 275 896MB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI, HDMI, HDCP, Graphics Plus
Corsair Strømforsyning 750W Black, ATX/EPS, 140mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI
Cooler Master HAF 932 Sort Aluminium Front (Uden Strømforsyning)
OCZ Platinum XTC DDR3 1600MHz 6GB KIT 3x Platinum Z3 XTC 2GB, CL7-7-7-24, 1.65 Volts, 240pin
Microsoft Windows Vista Prem Engelsk SP1,OEM,DVD,64 bit
Western Digital Caviar® Black™ 500GB , eSata 3 Gb/s, 32MB Cache, 7200RPM
Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S223B 22x DVD, DVDRAM, SATA, Black, Bulk

I took all the info directly from the online-shop page. I understand that some details there might not be relevant, but since i am cautious about choosing the right parts ( i might have a limited hardware knowledge, hard to evaluate... ) i thought it is best to post the hole test.

I am not interested in overclocking, so my biggest concern is about stability and durability of this setup.
So my main question is:

Is it a good gaming machine for the price?
Or should i change some parts, gaining some fps wihtout loosing in qality of the parts, while having the same price level?

Hope this can go under same topic:
Does anyone have any links to tips/"things i have to know" about how to assemble this system? ( I have a one year old Quad Q9300/9800 GX2/8GB DDR2 machine right now, and after reading some posts i got confused about some motherboard/memory realated issues ppl having. I normally just plug all the parts - connect cables - fail to boot - check cables - fail to boot - properly check cables one more time - everything works until i buy new system. I do not normaly change anything in BIOS as long as it works...)

I would greatly appriciate any feedback since i want to start assembly this weekend in 4 days.

Thank you for your time!

More about : gaming system

June 15, 2009 6:59:24 PM

That's a good build for an i7 machine, but you can use Windows 7 Rc instead of Vista and save some money.

I'd get the WD 640 GB Black instead of the 500 GB version, will be a little faster for only a tiny bit more.

You've got all the popular parts though, P6T mobo, OCZ Platinum, good quality PSU...looks good to me.

(If this is JUST for gaming you could use cheaper parts and get similar performance, but if you want an i7 then this is it)
June 16, 2009 7:45:09 AM

I noticed you did not include an aftermarket HSF. The core i7's beg for a nice OC and a (relatively) cheap upgraded HSF makes a world of difference. I'm not sure what fans are available in scandinavia? but it's worth a look. No reason not to OC a core i7 CPU. Stateside the Xigmatek S1283 Dark Knight seems to be the cooler of choice, also the coolermaster V8 makes a decent showing, albeit at a higher price.

Just something to think about as the rest of your build is just fine.
!