Sign in with
Your question

Just installed H50, but loud p/p fans noise & maybe high temps?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 3, 2011 1:04:08 PM

My system specs:

i7 930
ASUS P6T SE
Antec 900 (semi-modded)
Antec TruePower 650W
2x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans for push-pull

Hey everyone. After an extremely frustrating install that was full of questions and head-scratches, I have finally set up my first aftermarket cooling system: the Corsair H50 (at least, I think so!). However, there are two things that I believe are not normal or maybe what I think is definitely not right. I have been analyzing what may be the fault or solution:

1) There is a loud whining/blowing/idling fan noise that is coming from the 2 GT AP-15 push-pull fans. I originally set my fan+radiator assembly as an intake that looks something like this:

*Rear of case*Fan>>H50Radiator>>Fan*Front of case*

However, there is a loud sound in which I am not sure why the fans are making the sound. It almost sounds like some sort of pressure going on. I have double checked the direction of the fans, and indeed the fans look and seem like they're blowing air INTO the case (hence, intake). Although when I place my hands on the back of the fans, I can feel some slight air blowing too. Actually, when I put my hands behind the back of the supposed direction of ANY case fans, it seems I can feel some air as well. I guess this is just normal--nevertheless, I am 100% sure the p/p fans are in the right direction.

What I think may be wrong:

1a) AP-15 fans malfunctioning? (though I highly doubt this)
1b) Radiator malfunctioning?
1c) Perhaps I need some kind of shroom/grommet or some vibration-control or some washers in between the fans/radiator? Or something wrong with my screw placements? I've used 8 screws in all of same size and same washer size (as recommended by the Corsair YT & How-To vids). They're screwed in very tightly, too! However, I have heard many similar setups with my case/fan/H50/other hardware combinations without any problems. :-(

2) The other thing I noticed is when I booted up my system, the temps look a little off with the H50. After just viewing what my idle is in the MB & in Windows, they seem to be somewhere around 30-35 degrees at stock 2.8 GHz. I expected to be better. My ambient room temperature is cool. I understand that stock temperatures do not mean anything, but I was hoping something in the range of 22-28 at stock, given I am using the already-applied Shin-Etsu TIM paste that comes with H50 over my previous stock HSF/stock paste. I have not tested the CPU at a true load, but it seems to be jumping around 40-45 at 15%+ load when I tested it briefly in Windows via the Core Temp program. Fans and pump are installed correctly and it seems they're running at full speed.

What I may think could be attributing to this (if this is indeed not normal):

2a) I mentioned previously in my other posts that there were imperfections on my TIM paste when I bought the H50 pump. I was re-assured that this would be okay. It looked like there was some unevenness on the outer edges. No biggie. Unfortunately, I was also having a difficult time installing the Prior to getting the pump onto the bracket, I had smeared some of the TIM paste onto the outer edge of the CPU. I had attempted at least 10 times before I could push the actual pump and lock it into its bracket. However, I had smeared some already on the CPU. Please see pics here: http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/1663/pumpp.jpg (pump) & http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4831/cpuil.jpg (cpu)

This is what it looked like. A well 30+ minutes after this happened, I finally got the pump into its place. I may or may not have smeared more as I locked it into place. Do you think I should clean/reset the pump/CPU with my own thermal paste? (I only got some MX-2 at this moment). Or do you think it would have been okay? I guess I was concerned for either air bubbles or just imperfections in the paste creating a terrible contact (although it was on the OUTER edge), etc.

2b) Browsing through the Corsair forums, the other thing I could think of was either a defective H50 pump

2c) Or maybe I am not locking the pump/bracket into place enough, or the screws were too tight. Or something similar.

2d) I also DID NOT use the ADHESIVE PADS. Maybe is it possible the adhesive gives more space for the screws to work? (someone said it may act like a washer mod?) Thus, the bracket/pump did not situate itself correctly?

Any suggestions? Thank you all for your help!
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2011 1:39:56 PM

1) Didn't see a question there
1a) It can happen to the best components
1b) A leak you would notice pretty quickly, a blockage would cause higher temps, other than that not much that a rad can do to malfunction.
1c) Some sort of anti vibration material might help
2) Again , no question
2a) Looking at the pics, there's nothing to worry about , why did you have so much trouble with the install ?
2b) Is the pump hooked up to a MB fan header ? Check the RPM's using your MB software or something like Hardware Monitor
2c) This is always a possibility, grab the top of the pump/block and see if it wiggles

Idle temps don't mean much, check the full load temps.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2011 5:57:01 PM

Idle temps can only go so low. What are the load temps?

Also, H50 is not proper water cooling. Do realize you will only get a bit better temps than big air.
m
l
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 3, 2011 6:19:44 PM

Dude...do you just randomly show up to surprise people?

Good to see you again! :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2011 6:20:56 PM

^ I was thinking the same thing, on both counts.
m
l
June 8, 2011 7:58:04 AM

Thanks for the reply, guys.

Sorry, I am replying a bit late.

Anyhow, I have uploaded a short video of what the fans sound like:

With pump plugged in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FDJnjaUHQg
Without pump plugged in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Y2X5llvy8

I hope this helps in diagnosing what I may have. I apologize if the video is too dark or unclear--I can always reshoot or make a new video. I'm still not sure why the sound sounds like a "whirlwind"/whing sounds like some kind of pressure blowing. It's pretty loud as apparent from the video. Also, for sure, I know it's not the pump because when I unplug the pump, the sound is still there!

I still have not messed with the temps yet. I am really wanting to figure out WHY I have this SOUND/FAN problem with the two push pull AP-15 fans. After that has been figured out, I will then test the temps and see if my pump is faulty or needs to be reseated. Any suggestions?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 8, 2011 2:01:41 PM

That seems pretty normal to me...those are some decently powerful fans. You have both fans blowing the same direction (which is correct) as you want to move air from one side of the radiator through and out the other.

I am assuming the radiator is new and not clogged with dirt. Are you running the fans from a split MB header, or from a molex at full speed? As for there being a cooling issue...I think you are fine: the H50 isn't a superb LCS...it averages about on par with most decent/high end air coolers in most instances. If you are seeing temps that seem higher than before, you may have a mounting issue.

I wouldn't be worried about the sound of the fans, but if you are, you might consider a fan controller to slow them down if you wanted.
m
l
June 9, 2011 8:53:15 AM

I have made a new video depicting what it would sound like with the push fan plugged in only and vice versa (pull fan plugged in only): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anl-lBqDl-U

The optical dvd-rw drive, hard drive, other case fans, and pump are still plugged in.

It seems they are both on equal loudness with the pull fan being slightly louder. This may be because that front is on the front and more audible to the camera/myself.

The basis for my comparison in loudness is that:

1) The fans/setup is MUCH louder than my original stock HSF combination that came with my i7 CPU. I thought this would be quieter. :-(
2) From other users with H50 + 2x AP-15, it seems they're getting a "remarkably quieter" setup. They have compared it with me personally and says mine sound loud for some odd reason.

Also, both those two fans are connected to the mobo's 3-pin connectors. In the BIOS, it shows one fan running around 1780 rpm and the other fan around 1750 rpm. I believe the AP-15s are rated at a max of 1850 rpm, so it looks like they're running at about 90% speed right now.

What do you guys think? The fans sound normal or not? I am going to try testing my temps with Prime95. I'll try testing what my temps are at stock versus overclocked (I'm hoping to get at least 3.6-3.8 GHz with my setup). Hopefully, my H50 and it's setup is OK... but it seems others are getting better results. *sigh*
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2011 12:59:32 PM

How's it sound with the case side on ?

Just a suggestion;
Best ( IMO ) to disconnect the psu from all components ( use a 4 pin HDD to 3 pin adapter for the fans ), jump the PWR_ON ( green wire ) to ground on the 24 pin connector and use the psu switch for doing your testing.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 9, 2011 1:54:54 PM

It's difficult to determine and here is why: not all video cameras have the ability to record audio input at the exact same levels, even from the same physical distance; some are more sensitive to sound, others are less. Also, depending on the software you used to transfer the video file into an actual video/web format, you might be getting some amplification during this step while others might actually have it degraded. Most software has simple settings to help amplify specific sound ranges if you choose to do so.

However, it could be that you have the fans mounted too tight or too loose on the radiator...this can sometimes cause the fan housing to twist, slightly as it is mounted. It can cause the fan bearings to be a little louder or the blade noise to be louder as it isn't centered well and has a minor tweak to the normal fan housing. Radiators aren't necessarily perfectly square and flush, so maybe try loosening the fan mount screws a little to see if that helps?
m
l
June 23, 2011 1:11:08 AM

Here's an update, guys.

Using SpeedFan, it looks like my two push-pull AP-15 fans were running at full speed, ~1750 rpm. I don't quite fully understand how to read or utilize SpeedFan, but my speeds were at 100% for Speed1, Speed2, Speed3.

When I changed Speed2 to 85% or lower ...Voila! The WHIRRING sound was suddenly quieter. I saw the two fans speed change down to about 1500rpm. It was extremely loud/annoying at 100% (1750rpm+). At 1500 rpm, the sound is not 100% silent, but more bearable. There is still a whining tone...but I think that may be just coming from the push-pull.

Using this LOWERED speed of the p/p fans, I ran Prime95 (Large FFT test) and tested for 15 minutes on my i7 930 running at stock 2.8 GHz. Everything passed. Using CPU-Z, at 100% load my CPU read 1.240V. My 6GB RAM was also running at its non-OC'ed DDR3-1066.

My temperature readings using Core Temp after 15 minutes of 100% load were: 58, 55, 58, 54 for each of the cores. This was with no OC'ing and a lowered p/p speed (more managable in terms of sound!) What do you guys think? Is my H50 or push-pull fans still faulty? Not sure why it was so loud at 1750+ rpm!

Anyways, I would like to OC my CPU from 2.8 to at least 3.6-3.8 GHz. Is this still achievable with my hardware, or the better questions are:

1) Are my temps OK for my non-OC? What do you think?
2) Will I need to increase my P/P fan speeds to accommodate the OC? I still don't know why my system isn't quiet. Although SpeedFan turned down my two p/p fans to something more tolerable, there's still a very slight air pressure whine. I'm not sure if it probably has to do something with the resonance of the fans. Maybe some sort of grill/gasket will do?
m
l
June 25, 2011 12:55:46 AM

I just installed it on my 920 and it sounds like the fans are not right as far as airflow, the H50 is not set up for Push/Pull, i was thinking of doing it, but from what i heard from a few friends who attempted that the radiator is two thin to do the push pull unlike the H70, Since it is to thin, the inside fan will make the outside fan spin and hit the radiator
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 25, 2011 12:08:00 PM

thejj924 said:
I just installed it on my 920 and it sounds like the fans are not right as far as airflow, the H50 is not set up for Push/Pull, i was thinking of doing it, but from what i heard from a few friends who attempted that the radiator is two thin to do the push pull unlike the H70, Since it is to thin, the inside fan will make the outside fan spin and hit the radiator

Umm, I think your friends are a bit off.

m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 26, 2011 11:02:52 PM

Push/pull is always beneficial over push or pull alone...regardless of rad thickness. And your friends might wish to provide some supporting information for you to read up on......they are giving you some bad advice.
m
l
July 1, 2011 9:07:00 PM

I also had this weird noise when I ran push/pull as INTAKE with AP-15's and the H50. When I run it as Exhaust instead of intake, the problem doesn't occur.... so I think whoever said the inside fan is pulling the exterior fan against the radiator is correct. Perhaps it isn't making the blades themselves hit the radiator, but the fan is being pulled against it's own bearings
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 2, 2011 9:56:53 AM

Apk07 said:
I also had this weird noise when I ran push/pull as INTAKE with AP-15's and the H50. When I run it as Exhaust instead of intake, the problem doesn't occur.... so I think whoever said the inside fan is pulling the exterior fan against the radiator is correct. Perhaps it isn't making the blades themselves hit the radiator, but the fan is being pulled against it's own bearings

Sounds like a good theory, but it would take extremely mismatched fans to make it a reality.
m
l
July 12, 2011 1:03:42 AM

Apk07 said:
I also had this weird noise when I ran push/pull as INTAKE with AP-15's and the H50. When I run it as Exhaust instead of intake, the problem doesn't occur....

I noticed this too but IMHO it has more to do with the case grill. The noise is more prominent when fans are configured as intake.

Good test (something I might try) would be to put some sort of spacer (maybe shroud) between case and the fan and see if it makes a difference. Or cut out the grill

At 1850rpm the AP-15s are definitely audible but I drop them to about 1000 and pretty quiet
m
l
July 12, 2011 1:03:53 AM

sorry double post
m
l
!