VIA VT6421+ Win7 +BIOS= Problem → Incompetence

tbst

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
So I bought this cheap SATA PCI from ebay. When I put it in the MoBo, and booted, Win7 acknowledged and loaded a driver. The problem comes when I hook up my hard drives(s) to it, it doesnt acknowledge them. (Even after restarting, etc.)

I have done some forum readings, and people mention doing a BIOS flash. Is this what I need to do? If so, how do I go about doing this? Normally I can figure things out, however not this time.

Pertinent information:

Card
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170353154174&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3017wt_1165
MoBo
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Hard drive
Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EADS 1.5TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (not main, using all other sata ports, need the RAID card)
Device Manager->Storage Controllers->VIA VT6421 RAID Controller

I appreciate it. I have tried updating the driver thro windows platform, to no avail. Any detailed help on the BIOS flash if needed would be great.

Solution
VIA SATA controllers do not support auto-configure with SATA 3.0 Gbps drives. Setting the drive to SATA 1.5 Compatibility mode should cure the problem. Western Digital usually provides a hardware jumper setting for SATA 1.5 compatibility, but some drives may need a software utility to change the mode in firmware. A few drives today don't offer any way to change the SATA mode, but most do.

Check the documentation from Western Digital.

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
VIA SATA controllers do not support auto-configure with SATA 3.0 Gbps drives. Setting the drive to SATA 1.5 Compatibility mode should cure the problem. Western Digital usually provides a hardware jumper setting for SATA 1.5 compatibility, but some drives may need a software utility to change the mode in firmware. A few drives today don't offer any way to change the SATA mode, but most do.

Check the documentation from Western Digital.

Solution

tbst

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Just to clarify, not sure why I am so slow about this, but is this what I am looking to do? I am looking at the diagram on this page, and OPT1 enabled?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1679

I watched some youtube on what I physically need to do, however this video reverses what I need to do, but I think that it gets the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLsNDyVCPYU

My next question is, where are the jumpers? I bought my hard drives OEM and they did NOT come with any jumpers. What do I do?

tbst

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Yeah, did that. And nothing. Still no recognition with the shunt in the proper spot. I know the hard drive works because I connected it tot he sata on the motherboard.

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
If the drive is not initialized or partitioned, it will not appear in Explorer. Goto Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Disk Management and look for the drive in the Disk Management snap-in. If present, then initialize and/or partition the drive, assign a drive letter and format it, then restart and check for the drive in Explorer.

For whatever reason, Windows doesn't always start this snap-in automatically when an unpartitioned drive is added to the system.

If that isn't the problem, then you might need a different SATA controller card. I recommend avoiding cards that use VIA controllers. Look for a controller card that uses a Silicon Image or JMicron controller chip.

Also, according to the photo of the card from Ebay, that PCI card is keyed for 5V-only (the notch is toward the back of the card). This may be your problem as well. The card should be universal keyed, with one notch toward each end of the card, like this:

Universal keyed PCI card

tbst

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Yeah, the HD is already formatted/partitioned, I had it connected to the mobo just to make sure it worked. What would the 5v versus another V have to do with the problem?

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Possibly. The card could be detected and appear to be installed properly but just fails to function right. If I had to guess, I'd say its more likely an issue with an out-dated/older BIOS on the VIA card that isn't correctly handling the geometry of such a large drive than it is to be a PCI voltage issue, but its possible.

Do you have a smaller drive to test? e.g. 500GB or 640GB?

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
That tends to point towards a defective card or the PCI voltage issue. I was thinking the controller BIOS may be too old to properly handle drives as large as 1TB but if its not working with 80GB ~ 500GB drives, either, its probably not the VIA BIOS ROM.

VIA doesn't provide BIOS ROMs to end-users, anyway, so you're often stuck with whatever comes on the card.

tbst

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

iKaibil

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Hi:
I searching for an answer to my problem, I saw this post and perhaps you can help me.
My NAS200 broke and I had a Windows XP Pro 32bit SP 3 in a AMD Athlon XP 1800 with a VIA KT133A South Bridge VT82C686.

The machine was siting there with no use, so I purchased a SiI3512 - PCI to 2 Port SATA150, to add the 2 drives that I was using in the NAS200, both drives are Seagate's Barracuda.

Windows sees the Card, but it does not sees the SATA Drives,I thought that it may due an bios issue with DOS, so I cleared the bios, but now I am not able to flash and write the bois because is asking for a hex address and I do not know what the hex address is.
I have change driver and the Sata utility doesn't sees the bios in windows, in the documentation it says that I am supposed to see in the device manage / properties a tab with bios information, but I do not see this feature.

At first I thought that it may be the SATA Drives, but I tried them in another PC and they are working fine. Now I am thinking that it may be the VIA motherboard, I am going nuts trying to figure his card and need help.
Thank you
Mario

TRENDING THREADS