VGA vs DVI

Is there any difference in performance if you connect the monitor via a DVI cable instead of a VGA cable if both the GPU and the monitor have both connections available? Im curious if there is a performance loss related to the digital analog conversions required.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
There is no difference in performance.

There may be a difference in quality depending on the quality of the A to D and D to A converter. But generally it isn't very large. That being said, DVI is considered to be superior.

masteryoda34

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I would definitely take DVI over VGA when available, especially at higher resolutions. With VGA, I notice shimmering and scan lines in the image on my monitor. With DVI they disappear. Also, DVI has a chance of less input lag, since the monitor doesn't have to convert the analog image back to digital before displaying it.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
The input lag is not of any consequence. But DVI is required for the highest resolutions.

Many low quality monitors have a bad D to A which reduces the quality, or causes lag. but it really isn't a big deal.

There is absolutely no reason to stay with vga in this day and age though, the extra plug and go features, and the compatibility make VGA pretty useless.

VGA still has some use, in particular, as the input you can use with console component cables (via component->VGA converter) for older consoles + the Wii. Other then that, theres really no reason to stick with an analog input.

clementl

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

Nope, VGA can still be used for high res, but will deliver a lower framerate.

ridic23

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I definitely go for DVI....the vga is low quality once u have witnessed DVI.....HD videos flow smoothly over DVI and the colours are also more vibrant....