I7 2600k wierd temps

kaninm

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Alright, so I just put together my i7 2600k machine with zaleman cooler. Im in the process of overclocking it and finding a good spot. I have the multiplier set at 45 and vcore at 1.35. Prime is stable but when checking temps with RealTemp they range from 84-98 C. The air blowing out the back is relatively cool and I've physically touching the heatpipes on the cooler and they arent hot.

I've never seen CPU temps this high before and without making the heatsink hot. Does anybody have an idea about what might be going on?

homegun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
You definitely shouldn't see 98C, and even 84C is a little high for 4.5GHz, in my experience. Bad job with the thermal paste? Are the temps varying that much between the cores, or between different Prime95 runs? Are these temps consistent, or do they change a lot? I would try re-seating the cooler (use AS5 and the vertical line method for application), and adjusting your fans for better air flow through the case.

58c is also very hot for idle. I agree with the above. Perhaps the HSF is pulling away from the CPU due to gravity. Make sure it's mounted securely after you reseat it.

kaninm

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Alright, I remounted and thermal paste is perfect. Still the same issue. The second prime initiates temps on speedfan/realtemp jump 25 C in a second. Im very confused

A picture of your computer insides might help us.

Also, you might try your Prime95 test, with your computer laying on it's side, so that the motherboard is parallel to the ground. This is to make sure the HSF isn't pulling away from the CPU.

kaninm

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

s5035880.jpg

Darkfire66

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I'm having the same issue running a stock cooler. I'm not sure what's up with this. I'm not overclocking and I reapplied some Arctic Silver Ceramique paste about the size of a pea after I reseated the heatsink thinking it was loose.

I contacted Intel:
nfo: Please wait for a site operator to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Victor'
Victor: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Chat Support service. We are glad to be of service. How may I help you?
: Hello Victor
: My i7-2600k is getting very high temperatures under load
: My heatsink is properly mounted and I re-applied a pea sized amount of TIM
: I ran Prime 95 and the temperature spiked to 80 Degrees Celsius almost immediately
: Then Kept climbing until I stopped the test
: Any ideas? Any numbers on acceptable heat limits?
: I am monitoring the temperature with Realtemp, which I understand is only approximate but it shouldn't be that high based on what I'm seeing online
Victor: the temperatures are indeed high. What are your idle temperatures in BIOS?
: 40 Degrees or so
: I think 35-40 during normal use
Victor: Please provide me the RAM memory part number that you are using.
: It's 16 GB of Gskill Ripjaw memory
: Part number forthcoming...
: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231315
: F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL
: Memtest passed and I ran PC Check which passed everything
Victor: How are you running the memory in BIOS?
: It's just at 1600Mhz. I'm not overclocking anything
: Although as I understand 1600 Mhz is technically overclocked?
: It is quite a lot of ram
Victor: Yes. And this makes the memory controller on the processor to heat up and also heat up the processor temperature.
: Should I drop it down to 1333?
: I'm not sure how much of a performance difference this really makes
Victor: You should leave it on automatic this way when the Intel(R) Turbo Boost gets enabled it will also increase the memory frequency when needed.
: I'll check that. Any other thoughts?
Victor: Make sure that the fan control on your system is working correctly. Remember to have the latest BIOS installed.
: It's a UEFI system which is kind of a new thing
: I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it
Victor: You can try to get in contact with the manufacturer to see if they have similar reports.
: I mean I know UEFI is new and I've heard it's a bit twitchy but ASUS didn't have anything on it when I called them
Victor: Currently it seems like the issue is with the memory.
: Okay. Is 1066 considered the stock speed?
Victor: 1066/1333 MHz.
: And do you have any specs on what the maximum temp should be? Online I have conflicting information
Victor: It should not go higher than 73°C under heavy load.
: I ran another load tester and I'm getting 50 Degrees C under 100% load
: Just seems strange. Thank you very much for all your help
: I'll try adjusting it down to automatic with 1333 as the starting point in my EFI/BIOS
Victor: You are welcome and thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

Re-Ran Prime 95 and while it took longer to hit 90 Degrees it still happened. I went all the way down to 1066. Motherboard is an ASUS Maximus IV Extreme BIOS Rev. 1303. I'm at a loss. Heatsink is definitely attached, verified that the clip pins are held in place on the back of the board...

Kaninm:
Download CPU-Z and tell us what the CPU voltage is at idle and when you have Prime95 running.

Darkfire:
Did you remove the stock thermal compound before adding the Ceramique? If it still has the old stuff, the new layer is probably insulating it rather than conducting the heat like it's supposed to.

Running memory at its rated speed wouldn't make the temps that high -- I have 12GB of G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 RAM (one 2x4GB kit and one 2x2GB kit) in my Sandy Bridge system and it didn't increase the temps that much. Maybe a couple of degrees at most.

We also need more info: Case, fans, etc.

TRENDING THREADS