Help Finding Graphics Card (Specifics Inside!)

ivebeenshottt

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Here is a quote directly from Blizzard, about the kind of graphics cards that will be required for Starcraft II,

"For Starcraft II, we wanted to maximize compatibility with less capable systems to ensure hassle-free game play for as broad a player base as possible. Yet we also wanted to utilize the full potential of any available hardware to ensure the game's looks were competitive. This meant supporting a wide range of hardware, from ATI Radeon 9800/NVIDIA GeForce FX's to the ATI Radeon HD 4800s and NVIDIA GeForce G200s."

I'm looking for something in this range, but I need the graphics card to be SMALL! A huge card will NOT fit in my case due to the large CPU fan/airduct, and I keep making threads asking for a graphics card, but the ones that are recommended to me are simply too large.

Here are reference pictures (The dust is no longer there)
http://i31.tinypic.com/21dlzcw.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/20iw1g8.jpg

Thanks for the help, and I hope to make a purchase within the week :)

ivebeenshottt

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Can I get a second opinion?
I only about 3/4 or less of an inch between the PCI-E slot and the CPU air duct after 7 or 8 inches from the back of the case.

If you want a second opinion on whether those would fit, you can look at the Newegg photos from different angles. And if you can't get the physical dimensions from the mfg's site, you can actually measure the length using the Newegg photos.

No, they are not 1 to 1 scale. But you can measure the length of the PCIe connector on screen, measure it one in real life, and develop a ratio. Then measure the a$$-end of the card from connector to end, and calculate.

evankim390

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I was under the impression that the GTS 250 was a huge card which almost always took up the slot next to it.

I know that the GeForce 9 series and prior tends to be rather "normal sized" and I'd be supremely surprised if SC2 looked any better than DoW 2 (which runs fine on a 9600 GT)

ivebeenshottt

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Wow, the 250 actually looks quite short. The front end looks only 3/4 of the length, or the same length as the slot. It might fit, but I will check tomorrow for an approximate measurement as it's dark here and it's also late.

Do you happen to know the exact measurements of the card?

I have one here in an HTPC case, but I'd rather not pull the equipment off the top of it, remove 8 screws, remove the top cover, and measure it.

You can get a very accurate measurement from the Newegg pictures as I outlined above. I *do* recall it sits comfortably inside the confines of the mobo . . . how far I do not recall.

ivebeenshottt

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
And with the 250, how much bottleneck do you think I'll experience with a Pentium D 3.0GHz?

EDIT: I'll be running games at 1400x900 or 1650x1080!