Sign in with
Your question

Will 275 GTX work with my old motherboard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 7, 2009 7:17:17 AM

Hi

I am planning to buy a Evga 275 GTX for my old PC, I am not sure if it will work with my mother board

I have a GA-965P-DS3 (rev. 3.3)

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...

I am not concerned with bottle necks and such for now, I plan to upgrade to i7 later on

also can anyone tell me if this memory works with the mother board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

can anyone help me
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 136 V Motherboard
July 7, 2009 7:23:20 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :) 
About VGA yes it will work since PCI-E 2.0 is backward compatible with PCI-E 1.1.

But for the RAM,unfortunately no since your board supports DDR2 RAMs only.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2009 5:11:49 PM

The RAM will surely not work.

And I can't say anything about the GFx card.Though it will work as said by Maziar but own thing comes in my mind that will there be any performance decrease as the card is PCI-E 2.0 and slot is x16?

sorry for asking ques in someone else's thread but it may help him also.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 5:26:46 PM

No current GPU (shy of a MARS, even then it wouldnt make a huge difference) can max out an 8x PCIe 2.0 slot (same as pcie 1.0 16x). That isnt going to be an issue.

Depending on your CPU you amy not see the best scaling as bottlenecks come into play, but it will still work. Certainly well enough to last you until the i7 where the 275 could better shine.

You wont be able to purcahse RAM that will work in an i7 MB and still be able to use it now. Different standards now a days I'm afraid.
July 7, 2009 6:14:15 PM

I am aware my CPU will slow down my GPU but that isn't a problem for me at this time

About the ram, I have 2x1Gb ram chips in the mother board, I have 2 more dual channel slots free
can I add a different 2x2Gb memory chips to the system or do they have to be the exact same model with same latency?

this is what i plan to get
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

the older ones in the system are similar to this one but 2x1Gb and they are cas 4
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 7:39:51 PM

They don't have to be the "same" latency, but they have to be able to run at the same latency. A four DIMM configuraton is a bit tricky at times, it is often challenging to get it to work to spec, often requires an underclock on the RAM.

It is generally not a good idea to run mismatched RAM. It can be done, for sure, but it may not run at even the specs of the slowest RAM. For instance, In a 2 DIMM configuraton I can run fine with either RAM pair overclocked to 1700mhz (stock is 1600) but with all 4 sticks together I can only get 1400ish and remain stable.
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2009 7:49:58 PM

@ Fire_storm: I'll give good odds you cannot put 4 Dimms in that 'board, the memory slots are too close together and the heatspreaders get in the way.
Of course you could just go for the 2X2Gb installation, which would be plenty unless you regularly manipulate large images.
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 7:56:11 PM

coozie7 said:
@ Fire_storm: I'll give good odds you cannot put 4 Dimms in that 'board, the memory slots are too close together and the heatspreaders get in the way.
Of course you could just go for the 2X2Gb installation, which would be plenty unless you regularly manipulate large images.

I'm pretty sure all RAM, except of cource certain waterblock cooled models, are standardized with the heat spreader being no wider than the standard size of the RAM slot itself. It will surely be tight (and not ahve gtreat airflow if you are trying to cool it specially well) but I see no reason tehy woudl not fit. Whether you can get them working well enough is an entirely different storey though.
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2009 8:05:42 PM

@ Daedalus685: Normal memory without the heatspreaders does, indeed fit, as you say, but the 965P DS3 has the same memory slot configuration as my 965p S3 and I could not place two OCZ Gold modules into adjacent slots, because the heatspreaders are too thick.
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 8:09:14 PM

coozie7 said:
@ Daedalus685: Normal memory without the heatspreaders does, indeed fit, as you say, but the 965P DS3 has the same memory slot configuration as my 965p S3 and I could not place two OCZ Gold modules into adjacent slots, because the heatspreaders are too thick.

Ah I see, after looking at the pic compared to my MB it does look like I have a mm or two extra space between the slots. Strange they would do it that way, I have not seen RAM without a heatsink in years. Well, I have here at work, but my laast system to have "naked" RAM was my P4, 9800pro system, that was ages ago :D .
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2009 8:20:08 PM

I think it's just a quirk of these particular 'boards but it is a pain nonethless. But there's no reason why Fire_storm cannot use two 2Gb chips, even with HUGE heatspreaders:) 
July 7, 2009 8:38:25 PM

Thanks for the help guys
I will go for 2x2gb if the 2x1gb fit then its an added bonus if not I have other uses for them >:D 

I have a very old 450 PSU, I assume that I need to upgrade that too but PSUs always scare me (horror stories on forums and reviews), I always find it tricky to find the right PSU, any help with that? I would rather buy the PSU locally though
July 7, 2009 8:40:07 PM

I have that same board in one of my machines and it has 4x1GB of Crucial Ballistic with heatspreaders.
July 7, 2009 10:11:47 PM

I like to thank you people for the help
I just placed my order with newegg.ca (my first time dealing with them) lets hope all goes well

Thanks again
July 8, 2009 1:10:09 AM

I have GA-965P-DS3 (rev 3.3) with 4x2Gb of OCZ Platinum with no problem fitting all 4 slots.
!